Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI (W211)
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to start my car this morning and no luck....dead battery. When getting into the vehicle, I noticed a message on the instrument panel...something about the brakes. I don't recall the exact wording, but I knew something was odd. So, I turn the key to start the car, and nothing....just a click. For what it's worth, the car is parked in my heated garage (never get's below 40F), so while it was quite chilly here this morning (6 degrees F), please know that this is not likely to be a factor in this case.

Anyway, I took my other car to work, and will mess around with this one (testing, etc) later this evening. I did put a battery charger on it before I left.

The car was not driven for 4 days, but surely this is not the cause, unless I have some parasitic battery drain. It's a 2005, so I'm wondering if it's just due for a new battery. Anyway, I've scoured the forums, and am aware of the known problems with the battery control module (just not sure if the related service campaign was ever done to it, since I bought it used a little over a month ago). I'm also aware of the Aux battery up front (although that battery isn't used for starting...so unlikely to be related to my issue).

Anyway, like I said, I'll be checking it out further this evening. I may even ring up MB roadside assistance to go that route...and at least get a free jump/test out of the deal. If the battery is bad, I've heard that they're replacement battery prices are reasonable (as much a MB parts can be), and they don't charge labor. Is this correct? Any other insight appreciated.

More to come....

TJ

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,138 Posts
I would use roadside for this. It is a perfect scenario for it.
You just pay for the part and it is usually a reasonable price, no labor charge.

·
Registered
mercedes w211 e350, B200 w245, w212 e63 amg 6.2L
1,010 Posts
nahh soz im rly bored haha, but yeah do what noodle's said, hes the expert here :p

·
Registered
mercedes w211 e350, B200 w245, w212 e63 amg 6.2L
1,010 Posts
noodle's noodle's hes our expert, if no 1 can do it he sure can!! goooo noodles!!!!

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI (W211)
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update:
CPR (battery charger) seems to have worked. I had the battery on charge all day yesterday. When I got home, I removed the charger and took a voltage reading (12.5). I waited about an hour, and took another reading (12.43.....some decrease was to be expected as the batt voltage seeks a steady state once removed from the charge). I waited another hour and took another reading (Still 12.43). So far, so good.

There does not seem to be any parasitic drain...at least not an obvious one. So, I started the car and took another voltage reading (14.2 volts while running) and that seemed to indicate a healthy charging system. Took it for a ride (about 10 miles) and took another reading (Still 14.2)

This morning, the battery voltage was still at 12.42 and the car started just fine. I'll know more later....to see if it starts when I leave work today (it's darn cold out there this morning (4 deg F!!).

The only thing I can figure at this point is.....when I was installing my Navigation bracket over the weekend, I disconnected the Nav processor (DVD drive in trunk), and then plugged it back in when complete. I'm just wondering if by doing this, I woke up the Audio gateway, and perhaps it simply never went back to sleep, because there was never a start cycle. The car sat for four days before the failed start attempt. I dunno...just my theory at this point. As I said...I'll know more later.

Cheers, TJ

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,138 Posts
Glad it appears to be charged up and holding.

This is why you are the Toolman :)

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI (W211)
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:
Once again, it started just fine after work today. So, I'm chalking this one up to a problem with part of the audio system not going to sleep properly when I disconnected, and re-connected the Nav processor in the trunk over the weekend. Who knows?? :dunno:
For now, everything seems fine. Whew!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts