Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SL 500, 2003 E-500, 1996 SL 320
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had to deal with dead batteries on MB's and we can all agree that it's a pain. Well in my 2000 SL500 the battery was dead. I removed it and put it on the shelf for a few months. Yesterday I charged and installed it. The car started fine, gauges all seemed to work as with the windows. BUT.... the soft top is not working. The cycle starts with both windows coming down then nothing else! You can hear the motor but nothing is moving.

Also....... last time battery went dead and was charged, the soft top rear hardware is off target by about 1/2 inch. It will not go into the rear slots and lock.

Is this caused my not a proper re-sync or is there something else.

·
Registered
2000 SL 500, 2003 E-500, 1996 SL 320
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention....... roof switch is solid red (not blinking)

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,119 Posts
Does the rollbar goes up and down ?

·
Registered
73 450 SLC, 99 SL500
106 Posts
After installing my newly rebuilt Top Hydraulics windshield header cylinders, I was looking forward to testing the soft top. Turned the key -- nothing. No lights, no crank -- dead. The battery was only one year old, so I immediately hooked up my charger to the battery (without disconnecting ground cable), and left it to charge overnight. Next day -- nothing, even though the charger showed that the battery was "charged". I disconnected the ground cable and checked with the VOM and found only 8.5 volts.:mad:

Then I started reading this forum about all the bad things that can happen after dead battery, and I started to get nervous. Took the battery to local O'Reilly Auto. They checked it, found it dead, and replaced it for free.

Installed it, went through routine of all the windows up/down, radio code, steering wheel left and right, and tested the soft top -- all perfect!!

So the electronics aren't as sensitive as some people have said...😅

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,263 Posts
This is so true about the battery sensitivity effects to this R129 , why ? . So mush shits happen after any long winter sleep or garage Queen .My story is ( NOW) exactly like your (4wdave) or maybe likes others of R129 owners. Replaced two of my windshield Hydraulic cyls seals after a long cleanup fluid spilled overall my beautiful seat ( Suck) , procedure went well and easy , replaced all old fluid with fresh new ZF-M type , fully charge battery over night and click click click when try to start the engine ...soft top is not working , passenger window lower a bit ( As normal) when open door but not on Driver side , roll bar is good ,recycling hydraulic cycles nothing but weird sound from the trunk and solid red light top button ..!#@!... Will take care of battery today first and see what WTF wrong with this shits :mad::confused::)
Side note : Order my completed seals kit from Germany for 100 bucks 4 days shipping very quality seals and I am happy with.:p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts