Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How on earth can I get in the car to open the hood to charge the battery on my 1990 500sl. Can't simply use the key since I am guessing they are connected via electrical circuits too. :(.

Merry Christmas to you all...
Wylde

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
How on earth can I get in the car to open the hood to charge the battery on my 1990 500sl. Can't simply use the key since I am guessing they are connected via electrical circuits too. :(.

Wylde
Use your key and open the doors and the trunk. I mean the mechanical key of course.

You did not say it but is your problem that you have not serviced the locks and cannot open doors/trunk with the key?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Use your key and open the doors and the trunk. I mean the mechanical key of course.

You did not say it but is your problem that you have not serviced the locks and cannot open doors/trunk with the key?
Yes the key will not work at all. Tried the 2 I have and neither would unlock the door, mechanically. I didn't try the trunk, but that won't help me anyway since the battery is in front and I need to get inside it to unlatch the hood so I can charge the battery.

·
Registered
35,777 Posts
How mechanical key will not work? With 2 keys and 2 locks that sounds impossible.
Than if you open the trunk, you can tap a small charger into the light circuit. Within minutes that suppose to give enough juice to power the power locks and get access to the battery.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How mechanical key will not work? With 2 keys and 2 locks that sounds impossible.
Than if you open the trunk, you can tap a small charger into the light circuit. Within minutes that suppose to give enough juice to power the power locks and get access to the battery.
Aha...drivers side door mechanical does not work, squeezed on to the passenger side and it worked then squeezed into the car and unlocked the door. The car is parked for the winter in in tight to the wall on the passenger side.

Thanks for your help. Now to put the battery on a trickle charge. I knew I should have started it in November sometime...oh well.

·
Registered
35,777 Posts
Good to hear the door issue is resolved.
Dead battery might kill trickle charger, not to mention that trickle charger can kill the battery if left for long time.
There is long thread about charging in W210 section.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Does your MB Key have the Manual Flip key?
I know mine has the FOB Remote, but there is the Option of the little
slider manual Key for Situations like this.

For Charging of your Battery, recommend a Trickle Charger.
If you are leaving the MB unmoved for weeks or months on end.

On mine I have a Solar Powered Battery Trickle Charger and it works wonderfully.
The Sun is Plentiful here in Florida.

Wylde

1 - 7 of 7 Posts