Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 500SEC AMG Euro
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fianally got her started, alarm system was the prob.. oh well onto the topic. I want to "dechrome" all the moldings I see some of you on here have done this and i was wondering if you bought replacement molding or how you did it.. I think it makes it look so clean and sleek. I searched here and found some people using some kind of adheasive tape or somthing? if this is the case where to get it is the next question...
Thanks

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Adhesive tape was probably in reference to several members mocking up the look on the car just to be sure it was what they wanted. You should have all the chrome removed and professionally painted. You can't actually dechrome it. Some pieces can be powder coated, but not all, so painting it is easiest (just remember to get some touch up in case of minor chips). Also, make sure they lightly sand and/or use etching primer on the chrome.

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
The hard decorative chrome plating on bumpers, steel parts, ect, is very thin over a nickel plating. Muriatic acid (diluted HCl) will remove the hard chrome plate in just a few seconds where you can then wet sand the soft nickel with 400 grit sandpaper and get a surface that the paint can get a tooth on. Be careful if you use this method on chrome plated aluminum such as wheels since pitted chrome will let the acid attack the aluminum underneath which is highly reactive to HCl.

For your aluminum bright work near the windows, oven cleaner containing sodium hydroxide (NaOH, aka lye if you get it in a can/box) will disolve the anodized coating and again you can wet sand the piece. The peeling you see on many painted trim jobs is lack of surface preparation. Remove the pieces from the car BEFORE you do any of this stuff. Keep in mind these can be very dangerous chemicals and you'll produce some ugly waste byproducts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts