Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been debating winch options for 2 years, I have decided: Hydro.

I happened into 3 Dayton 3VJ75 winches. 15K, Hydro.

I have been looking for Werner (Hydraulic one are rarish, esp for good condition), and coveting Rotzlers (not really wroth the $ for what I need).

Question is should I use the Daytons (front and rear?), or pass all three along to someone and stick with the German original? Anyone used they Daytons?

Thanks in advance for the feed back.

C.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
You should set aside the ''German original'' thought immediately and concentrate on what you need/want a winch for. If you have three daytons, they work fine,you have both front and rear covered as well as a spare.
If they are in the range that you want, go for it...
Everyone wants a Rotzler in there stocking
G Vavra

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The winches are still produced. You can order them from Grainger, among others. If my info is right, they are just private label Superwinch Hydro winches.

I will likely at least set one up and see what I think. They make an air clutch conversion kit which I might add.

C.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
We had two Dayton winches on the farm when I was younger, that has been a while ago (early to mid 80's), and they were beasts. Had one on a three point hitch set-up to extract tractors with full silage wagons on the back, and it had no issue with that job.

That said, yours look a bit dinky compared to those old beasts. So perhaps the ones we had were made in a different era and were old style over-engineered (well actually under-engineered and over fudge factored).

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I have 2 electric Dayton hoists, they are very well made. If the price is right on those hydraulic winches, I would definitely give them a try. Worst case, they aren't strong enough and you will have no problem passing them on to someone in a 406-16.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Good point, Seth. The winches are a steal, so for the money it is going to be tough to go too wrong. Worst case I just pass them along to someone else.

C.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Don't forget the use of snatch blocks to double your pull, or more blocks if you want more pull than that. I have an electric 16,500 pound Superwinch, which I mostly use for pulling logs and such things. Not and ideal choice of winch for the application, but the price was so right. Anyway, my mog weighs in at just shy of 10,000 pounds with some of my attachments, and I have resorted to using trees to anchor the mog (until I can build a ground anchor) as the winch pulls the truck around like a toy when a tree fetches up on a stump or something else. I suspect your winches are more than powerful enough.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
If you need a little bigger winch, I just popped this one off of the back of a 406! Rated at 10 tons.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just closing the loop on the one. After some use I can heartilly recommend these HP15 winches. They will:

-Drag a loaded SBU (driver holding the brake to the floor) across dry pavement
-Pull a U1300L suffering from engine stoppage due to lack of fuel (stupid little white priming pump!) out of a bog with the rear wheels locked. (Lack of fuel = lack of air)
-Pull out a group of 3 daisy-chained together dodge rams that went somewhere they should not have.

All in all, I am very pleased with these.

C.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nashy,

Is that an infared light still mounted on that machine?

C.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
It is a good view of the Australian military headlamp
Rock guards, which actually have a good chance of
Stopping stone damage, as opposed to the Factory MB
"stone guards", which are mainly a joke, as far as flying
Stones anyway.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Not 100 sure if the lights are infra red, they are blackout lights for convoy night driving. The winch in Australia is marketed as Superwinch, they are a very solidly made winch, weigh approx 70kg I designed and had the winch mount laser cut from 12mm plate, there is a bar that goes across the top to mount lights on but in this case the customer wanted two tabs to mount his LED driving lights onto. A couple more pics with the front bar infills and a close up of the light protectors.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts