Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine doesnt have any lights during the daytime and would like to use the fog lights as the drl. Bought a kit from a local dealer looks easy enough to install, but has anyone attempted this, reading i see others have but which power source was used? i tried to tap into the windsheild washer container power, on the top there is a connector with two wires, found the hot, and tied into it, but it gives me an error on the dash and the washer light comes on. maybe the ground is not proper.
any other ideas where to get power with ignition??
thanks

·
Greek God of the R129
8,364 Posts
Do a search on the subject.
I think that you get the connection from under the dash behind the air bag.

I think that in Canada is the law.
You must have the headlights on, not the fog.

Here in California...
When the wipers are on the headlights must also be on.

But it never rains. Lol.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Mine doesnt have any lights during the daytime and would like to use the fog lights as the drl. Bought a kit from a local dealer looks easy enough to install, but has anyone attempted this, reading i see others have but which power source was used? i tried to tap into the windsheild washer container power, on the top there is a connector with two wires, found the hot, and tied into it, but it gives me an error on the dash and the washer light comes on. maybe the ground is not proper.
any other ideas where to get power with ignition??
thanks
You get ignition power straight from the fuse box.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any particulair point of contact in the fuse box? never done this before and dont want to cause wiring issues, whats the best place and how to connect in the fuse box??
thanks

·
Registered
716 Posts
Fuse location

I used a fuse connection point that has energy when the key is inserted. I used LED flex light strip and pulled the strip into the headlight housing. Small round hole that was then sealed shut with silicon. The LED glow from the headlight

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually i wouldnt mind seeing how that would look also, can you take a picture and upload it??

·
Registered
198 Posts
FWIW, when I imported the SA into Canada I was required to take it to the M-B dealer to get the drl module installed. I can't recall the exact cost, but I think it was around $1500 installed (I had no choice - in order to be 'allowed' into Canada the work had to be done by the dealer). My headlights come on automatically - I still have to turn the headlight switch to on in order to get dash lights.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
FWIW, when I imported the SA into Canada I was required to take it to the M-B dealer to get the drl module installed. I can't recall the exact cost, but I think it was around $1500 installed (I had no choice - in order to be 'allowed' into Canada the work had to be done by the dealer).
That's a shame - those Hamsar DRL modules are well under a hundred and easily installed. Actually it's more like a crime than a shame.

·
Registered
716 Posts
My betamax is still flashing 12:00 but I will try:confused: The first photo shows side marker with LED curled up. The second is the headlight and turn signal at an angle above the wiper blade. The last has both headlamps in one shot. Since my bumper cover has been cracked I will do a mock up on the lower section. see the forth photo

Attachments

·
Registered
716 Posts
The first photo is at the William Allen White state historic site during a "ghost" encounter. Sorry for the view of an exciting time in Kansas!

·
Registered
3,294 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I recently bought a 1994 SL500 in May. My question regarding the DRL is it normal for ALL the lights to be turned on? As soon as the car strart my low beams turn on as well as my tail lights, is that normal?

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I recently bought a 1994 SL500 in May. My question regarding the DRL is it normal for ALL the lights to be turned on? As soon as the car strart my low beams turn on as well as my tail lights, is that normal?
depends.

On U.S. cars, no, DRL were not standard or available.

On Canadian cars DRL were/are required. Not sure exactly what came on to satisfy canadian DRL requirements.

·
Registered
21 Posts
depends.

On U.S. cars, no, DRL were not standard or available.

On Canadian cars DRL were/are required. Not sure exactly what came on to satisfy canadian DRL requirements.
Usually in Canada from what I've seen, both my Honda 93 Prelude & 2008 Accord coupe the high beam (which was dimmed) was the DRL only. While some other manufactures was the just fog lights, but NEVER the tail lamps.

The 94 SL turns on both head lights and tail lights. Its no big deal, its just that I don't recall seeing any other Mercedes with tail lamps on.

·
Registered
266 Posts
FOG TO DRL

Phil Here. Converted my FOG lamps to DRLs by connecting to number 12 or 14 fuse holder in engine compartment. Lights go on when ignition is activated. Change out Fog light bulbs to a lower wattage, SL's don't like to much wattage drain on start-up.......... There has been many post on this subject.

1992 Sweet 500 SL Phil Justice

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 1990 SL came from Canada. Upon startup the headlights tail lights and instrument lights are all lit. I have never had to use the headlight switch on the dash. I guess I don't have to worry about wearing out the switch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts