Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
04' SLK230 Komp.
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Lads,

I'm in the US and I would LOVE to have the headlights on all-the-time. My MB (2004 SLK230 SE), does not have this feature,...or does it. I read in the manual (see, guys do read directions ladies) that this is only available in Canada. My question is, is there a feature to have daytime running lights? Is this something that can be programmed? Thanks again in advance.[:D]

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
You're swimming upstream, my friend. No politician is EVER gonna try that one in the good ol' USA. Most folks would consider it too much government interference.

Now to your technical question. I'll bet your dealer could do the conversion. My mother moved to Canada with a '99 Cougar. She did the DRL conversion in Texas -- it took a lot of persuading, but the dealer did it.

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Just turn on your lights in the day and call them daytime running lights.

·
Registered
98 SLK230, 05 C-240T
137 Posts
They sell a relay kit in Canada that you can fit to any car, so that the headlights come on when you turn on the ignition switch. My wife had to fit one to her Honda when she moved with it to Toronto. Try Canadian Tire. If you have trouble, post here, as my son works in their parts department and can look it up.

·
Registered
2007 SLK350 Sport
186 Posts
I too would like day time running lights, but for now I just turn on the fog lights as part of my startup routine.

·
Registered
SLK230 2(001)
4 Posts
Running on foglights in the UK is illegal, day or night (unless of course it is actually foggy!)[:0]

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 2009 E350
553 Posts
There is a down side to daytime running lights. If your alternator fails and you have to run on just the battery until you can get to a garage or safe place to stop, running lights will quickly drain the battery and limit how far you can go. Better to just turn on lights during the day than having them automatically on all the time so you can turn them off if the above happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cost is huge

Canadian tire would install the kit in my 190E 2.6 '93 for $250. I looked in their store and the kit is $34 ($40 after the huge Canadian taxes). I bet that's the kit that they would install. I bought the kit and the wires were way too short. I took it back 'cause I'm trying to figure something else out (no kits), although I might need to go get a kit somewhere.
Any ideas for "do it your self"?

DYI DRL, Canada, Daytime Running Lights.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes 230 SLK
351 Posts
Any Mercedes dealer can switch the US-spec car to day-light running, no addtl hard- or software required. The modules are required for European versions where day light running lights must be provided by special low-wattage bulbs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts