Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

W220 Moderator
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

OK, I have read loads of stuff regarding the Nav, Phones etc.......

I cannot find an answer to this problem :confused:

My COMAND and Bluetooth Phone, Dash Clock Display etc etc is all functioning perfectly, and is all coded to get it's Date / Time Setting from the Satellites.

I am receiving at least 5 Sats most of the time, and my COMAND and Dash Clocks are always displaying the correct TIME BUT the Date is at 08 / 06 / 2097, and COMAND will not let me change the Date Manually, just tells me "Invalid Input".
I presume this is a result of it all being coded to receive Date and Time from Satellite, and at this stage I do not want to code it to Manual input :frown

Country of residence is correctly set to United Kingdom :grin

Does this mean that the Satellites are transmitting the wrong date from Space ??

Does anyone else have this problem ??

Any ideas how to correct this issue, or is it indeed a "NASA" problem :grin

Cheers Dave

PS I have been at over 80 MPH and did not travel into the Future :laugh :laugh :laugh ;laugh

W220 Moderator
Discussion Starter #2
Well,

I am still "Back To The Future" :laugh:laugh:laugh

Now the time is off (1 hour +) :crying

Checked all the COMAND Codings and Actual Values yesterday afternoon, nothing there to suggest a problem :confused:

Carefully read the entire COMAND Handbook, nothing there either.

Would this be anything to do with the Nav Disc ??

Reason I ask is that it is not a Genuine MB, it is a 2 disc set made by Bosch, (DX discs again shown as suitable for my 2.5 COMAND), 1 disc for UK and 1 for Europe, listed as suitable for my car :confused:

This is really bugging me, If It's Fitted, Then It Should Work that's my motto with all my cars :wink

Cheers Dave

W220 Moderator
Not 100% certain of the prefacelift w220's so take this with a grain of salt.

Even with GPS correction of your time. its just the minutes that get synched. As GPS satellites broadcast over basically half the Earth at any given moment, the hour would be extremely difficult to set by satellite. You will have to manually set the hour ( for time zone differences and Daylight Saving Time offsets).

The same ( and this is where the aforementioned grain of salt comes in.. ) is true for the date. That will have to be manually set as well.

W220 Moderator
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi,

That was well helpful, I hadn't even considered that the Sats are covering half of Earth, and therefore only the Minutes are Synched........Big Light just switched on, Thanks :smile

Found another little write up about the hour fast clock this morning, and now ATM I think that Daylight Time Saving setting is not as "clever" as I at first thought..........

I checked the box yesterday when trying to sort the Date issue out, thinking that I was enabling it to automatically correct itself when needed, but now, the more I think about it, the Clock(s) have been correct up until now, so I'm going to un - check the box in a minute and see if the Clock then reads correctly.......

If it does, it means it is not a "clever" setting at all, all it does is advances the Time in COMAND by an hour, (which my Dash then copies, as that's how I coded it), presumably I should use the DTS option only when BST comes in in a few weeks time.............
So if that theory is correct, I have to manually tick the box in March, and then manually un - tick it again in October, DOH :laugh

I'll try that in a wee while and report back.

As for the Date, your "Grain of Salt" could turn out to be a great big PITA :laugh

My Date is 80 + years ahead, and my COMAND will only let me alter the Minutes, so it would probably take a few years "Button Pressing" to get the Date back to where it should be :crying :crying :crying :crying :crying

I will see if COMAND will allow me to alter it manually when there is no Disc in the Nav, or when NAV is switched off, as I hadn't thought to try either yet :laugh

There was one occasion on Saturday when it wasn't seeing any Satellites, or hadn't finished Booting up, not sure which, but it allowed me to change the Date manually, but then it wouldn't let me out of the SYS Settings Menu, kept saying "invalid input", and the only way I could get out of that menu was to Switch Off COMAND and Ignition, Remove Key, Lock Car and then when car had gone to sleep I Re Inserted the Key, Switched COMAND back on, and behold, we were back to June 2097 again :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Anyway, thanks for the reply, I'll go and explore it a bit more for an hour or so, and report back later :grin

Cheers for now,

Dave

W220 Moderator
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Cheers Dave

PS I have been at over 80 MPH and did not travel into the Future :laugh :laugh :laugh ;laugh
Hi again,

LOL Kraut, see quoted PS in OP :grin

OK, I now know a lot more.........

After leaving it over night, just been out to the car, Time sorted, reading correct :grin

Date still un - resolved.

These Daylight Time settings are Country specific and not codeable by SDS, they change when you change the "Location Country" in the Navi Menu.........

In UK we do not have DTS setting, we have "Automatic Summer / Winter" time setting, and COMAND knows the Date to change these, but of course my COMAND thinks it is in June 2097 so that is why my Time went forward each time I "Checked the Box" :rolleyes:

I've un - checked that for now, when (if) I ever get the Date correct, I can re - check that option and it will adjust the Clock forward / back 1 hour in March / October on the correct Date.
So it is an "Intelligent Setting" and not a "Dumb Ass" one :smile

Ex Fed is quite correct, you can set the Minutes Forward / Backwards in 30 min increments, but only for a MAX of 24 hrs........... Think Satellite and Rotation of Earth :wink
When you do this, the Date will change as you pass Midnight :wink

BUT there is no way you can change that Date more than One Day using this method, even if I did decide to scroll the minutes for eons :laugh

The Date info is therefore Transmitted by the Satellite, and for it to be correct, the user has to Adjust his Minutes, and then apply whatever DST or Winter Summer Setting applies in the Country he is in

I tried switching the Nav Off, and also Removing the Disc, but still the Unit is reading the Satellites for time, so it will not allow me to Adjust the Date Manually, the Date and Hour Boxes in Time Settings simply will not Highlight :frown

Now there is one thing I have not tried yet, and will do V soon, which is to un plug Sat Nav Antenna Cable, and see if it then removes the Sat Received Icon and allows me to "Manual Set" :confused

There does not appear to be an option to set Date in SDS.

So, Either the Satellites are transmitting the wrong time, or maybe, they now Transmit the Date in a different code to that programmed into a 14 year old COMAND 2.5 unit.........

"Maybe, guess, etc etc"........ FIIK :laugh

So, as of yet I don't know how to resolve the Date Issue :crying

Cheers for now,

Regards Dave

Outstanding Contributor
Dave this might sound silly, but try it. Unplug the comand unit, then plug it back in but make sure it doesn't have any active SAT's when you do (So in the shed). Once you have done this set the date and time formats first. Then try to set the date, the manual says you can set the date this way if it is reporting the wrong date. For those that have the comand manual for the prefacelift cars it is on page 333.

Worth a try.

W220 Moderator
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi,

Thanks Dean,

Actually that doesn't sound silly at all, it makes a lot of sense to me..........
My next plan is to un plug the Navi Antenna from the back of Nav unit and try it, won't be tonight though as SWMBO has got me assembling "Flat Pack" Cupboards :laugh

BTW, I have the correct COMAND Handbook, in the Cars "Book set" and I have read it over and over, but it is not a lot of help :frown

Before I left this morning I found this:- http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211-e-class/1465961-set-time-date.html

Posts 2 and 7 are of the most interest to me, and I'll also give them a try.

I have just been to the car, and Time is still reading correct, but the Date is still showing 10/06/2097 :frown

I have just done as post 7 suggests, and set the Clock forward 2.5 hours by the 30 min Increments, and if it is still wrong in the Morning, I'll drive it 14 miles to work and back with it still set 'fast', and see if it sorts itself out.

If not then I'm onto un plugging and un synching, and if none of that works I'll be back to "Not a Clue" :laugh :laugh :laugh

Cheers for now,

Dave

W220 Moderator
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

OK, so I Manually set the Clock 2.5 hours fast using the 30 min increments.

I drove 14 miles to work this morning NADA / ZIP, Clock stayed fast, it Navigated me there perfectly, and was seeing at least 7 Satellites all the time.

I drove it home again tonight, still fast, still Navigating OK, still seeing 7 or more Sats, so I've Manually adjusted it back to Correct time using the 30 min increments, which is the only adjustment it will let me make, but the Date is still June 2097 :crying

Burns Night Supper tonight, so I'll have another go tomorrow evening I'll try unplugging it all in the home workshop, and see what happens then :wink

Now, the Haggis is ready, where's that Single Malt :grin

Cheers for now,

Dave

Registered
Try this: Goto SYS Date/Time screen
1) make sure GOS sat symbol is not visible
2) turn the knob to highlight "date", and then rotate to change date to actual, then
3) push the knob to accept it

Let us know if can actually highlight the date panel

W220 Moderator
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Try this: Goto SYS Date/Time screen
1) make sure GOS sat symbol is not visible
2) turn the knob to highlight "date", and then rotate to change date to actual, then
3) push the knob to accept it
4)Let us know if can actually highlight the date panel
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, but .........

SYS Date / Time screen.......First thing i tried :wink

1) GOS sat symbol is always visible there, even when parked in my Home Workshop
2) Knob will only highlight Minutes, can advance / retard in 30 minute increments by 24 hrs Max which affects Date by 1 day only as I pass Midnight.
3) Obviously lol
4) No IT WILL NOT HIGHLIGHT DATE PANEL

That's why my next move is disconnect Sat Antenna Cable from COMAND. 'hopefully' the GOS Sat symbol will disappear and then 'hopefully' I can set Date Manually, then see what happens when Nav Antenna re connected :wink

Cheers Dave

Registered
try tihs

To get back from the future, if the GPS symbol is always there, it seems to be mildly corrupted software.

Try the complete procedure on page 239 for a complete SYS factory reset.

W220 Moderator
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hi,

WallyP,

Excellent idea, so I did that, and yes, with no visible Sats the Date will highlight and allow me to reset.

So I corrected the Date then I removed the Pan, and by the time I had driven out of my drive it went forward to 12/06/2097 :crying:crying:crying

Sooooo, I put the car in the workshop, shut the workshop doors, put the Pan back on, set the Date again to correct Date.

Left the Pan on the Shark Fin and hooked up SDS.
Spent about half hour checking all the Codings in Dash and COMAND, and all are 100% correct.

After about an Hour with the Pan on, Date was still correct :confused:

So I removed the Pan, got the Car outside........
Date still correct, but showing no visible Sats, I drove off showing no Sats, and the Info Map followed its position perfectly along the road for a mile or 2, then it picked up 1 Sat, Date still correct.........

Next 2 Sats, Date still Correct, 3 Sats Date still correct, until it got to 4 Sats, then .........

12/06/2097 :crying:crying:crying Back to the Future :crying:crying:crying

Kraut56,

What page 239........
Do you mean in the COMAND Handbook or somewhere else ???
P239 in my COMAND Handbook shows nothing about Factory Reset, but I have done the Factory Reset in the SYS Menu several times, and also when trying different Coding options out, SDS says it has Reset Control Module :confused::confused::confused:

If there is something else, some other Reset, please could you send me a link ?

Other than this, COMAND is working perfectly and there is not a single Fault anywhere in the car now, (except A/C needs re charging Code), and I'm sure even Mercedes have not linked that to COMAND :laugh

I have one other thing to try ATM, and a theory.........

Unplug the whole COMAND Head Unit overnight, and then do a complete "Initial Start Up" like Dean said.

If that doesn't work, this to me looks like there is nothing wrong with my COMAND..........

Theory :-

Maybe a Satellite up there above me is Transmitting the wrong Date info........

Could this be because of where I live.........

There are Military Bases etc with Nuclear Subs and stuff all around this Area, in fact there is one 14 Miles down the road and whenever there is signs of activity down there, our Mobile Phone Signals go off ?????

If it isn't cured by this weekend I am going to give up on it until Paintwork is finished and then I'll be taking the car on a long journey see if more Sats cure the problem :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

:confused: . com

Cheers for now,

Dave

W220 Moderator
... mildly corrupted software....

Going with this idea. Day and date by GPS is not transmitted in a format you would normally use in Real Life.

GPS Time is a uniformly counting time scale beginning at the 1/5/1980 to 1/6/1980 midnight. January 6, 1980 is a Sunday. GPS Time counts in weeks and seconds of a week from this instant. The weeks begin at the Saturday/Sunday transition. The days of the week are numbered, with Sunday being 0, 1 Monday, etc.

GPS week 0 began at the beginning of the GPS Time Scale. Within each week the time is usually denoted as the second of the week. This is a number between 0 and 604,800 ( 60 x 60 x 24x 7). Sometimes the second-of-week (SOW) is split into a day of week (DOW) between 0 and 6 and a second of day (SOD) between 0 and 86400.

The fact that no one else is having difficulties with the GPS system....( I should ask if any ferry boats have ended up on your front stoop..no? .. good ) It would seem to point to your system as being off kilter.

From that and looking at your symptoms.. it would appear that your starting point has become corrupted....or..... the time elapsed is being applied too many times/continually. In any event, both those problems are internal to the workings of your Nav unit and NOT Comand related.

Might check and see if there are possible firmware updates specific to your Nav Unit or if the firmware can even be changed. The ultimate solution MAY end up being a replacement Nav unit.

Outstanding Contributor
Dave I think Richard may well be right, but before you get to that point. If you have the same comand manual I do check page 328 last paragrah "Setting the date and time manually. It is always necessary to reset the clock when the computer system has been disconnected from the car battery."

Instead of unplugging the Comand, just disconnect the Battery for a couple of minutes. This will result in the time and date requiring to be reset and will enable you to do so without the SATs.

W220 Moderator
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hi again,

Kraut56,

Yes I have tried the Factory Settings reset 3 or 4 times now........

No Joy. It is actually on page 320 of my COMAND Manual, I think there must be a few different prints of this Manual :wink.

ExFed,

I won't get Ferrys landing at my house, our local ones are Piloted by Drunks, and they don't have GPS LOLOLOLOL

However, I am not having any problems with my COMAND and in particular the Nav other than the Date, the Car Position on the Info Map knows exactly where I am at any given point, and it gives me perfect directions every time when I set a Destination, I do not believe there is anything wrong with this Nav Unit, other than (possibly / maybe), some part of its firmware is not correctly de coding the Date Info sent out by whatever Sat(s) it receives in my area.

Of all my "Mercedes Owning Customers" list I only have 2 cars with the same COMAND 2.5 System as my car, a CL600 (Nav Unit does not work), and a CL500 which does have a working Nav, when I can get hold of that owner / car I will check the Date displayed by it's Nav, and TBH I will not be surprised if it is the same as mine........
As I said last after last night, the Date and Time when set Manually is perfect until it again receives 4 or more Sats

Thank you for your detailed explanation, but unfortunately Computer Code and De Coding is well beyond me, have never got my head around it.

Where would I find if there is a Firmware Update, and does this come as a CD ??
My SDS refers to an Update CD and gives p/n W 230 589 00 22 00.

Is this what you are referring to when you say "Firmware Update", or is that CD just updated Maps ???
If it is a Firmware Update I'll get it.

Just been out to the car, and as soon as I switched it on, whist it was activating Nav, I went to Date and time and it let me reset it, I highlighted all boxes and reset it to correct Date, 27/01/2017.
Then I watched it, toggling between SYS Settings Date and Time, and Navi Info........

As Navi got 2 Sats, stayed correct, able to set manually.
3 Sats, Stayed Correct, able to set manually.
As soon as it hit 4 Sats 13/06/2097 and now un able to highlight the Date and Hour Boxes !!

Once the COMAND sees 4 or more Sats it will not allow Manual Setting, and off to the future !!
Up to 3 Sats it will allow Manual Setting and remain at that setting

Dean,

I'm going to remove Nav Disc and Power Down and then leave it overnight, will report back tomorrow what happens when I Power Up again :wink

Final Question, which part retains the Date and Time Info / Contains the Firmware that Decodes the Sat Transmission ??

Is it the Head Unit, or the Navi Processor / Disc unit at the bottom, reason I ask is I could try my Old Comand with the "New" Bottom Navi Processor / Disc unit fitted to that as my old unit only had a defective Navi Unit.

Any other Ideas Guys ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Cheers for now,

Dave

PS Just powered it all down, will see what happens tomorrow :wink

W220 Moderator
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hi,

It's the Doc here from the future again :laugh:laugh:laugh

Just powered it all up, and set Clock / Date manually.

Upon Power Up the Date was at some random date in 1999, presumably the year the COMAND 2.5 was born :wink

Stayed at correct Date until it got to 4 - 5 Sats, then went forward to 13/06/2097 again :frown

I have contacted a mate of mine who works at our local Nuclear Submarine Base as a Computer Techie :nerd

He therefore knows a bit about Satellites and Navigation Systems :grin
I am taking the Car to him tomorrow, I will show him what is happening and see if he can shed any light on this :grin

Failing that, I have found out that W230 589 00 22 00 is indeed a Mercedes CD containing Firmware Updates, it was listed at around 拢5.00 so at that price, (if it is still available), I'll just buy it from Merc........

There is a site that it can be Downloaded and a CD Burned from, but that will be a last resort, in case it Bricks my Nav !!

Does anyone know the procedure, do you simply bung the disc in and it walks you through, or is there more to it than that ????????

I will report back when I know more :grin

Cheers from Summer 2097 :devil

Dave

W220 Moderator
The fact that its not stuffing up the date until 4 satellites is intriguing. The Mercedes GPS system takes 4 satellites to come up with a fix or Point In Space location ( Lat, Long and Alt. ) It then requires 3 sats to maintain and update that location as you motor along thru a variety of methods. According to WIS, it should only take -1- satellite to adjust and keep time/date up. I have some WIS document references here... http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1834026-w220-antenna-system-key-fob.html#post6963178 ... that can provide alot more detail.

I find it interesting that the clock/date isn't messed up on acquisition of the first satellite but waiting till a firm fix is established and applied and THEN messing with clock. Everything I see/read about this prob points to a software glitch..

As for updates, just chuck the disk in, its all automatic ( or should be ). At some point around 2009 or so, Nav Unit firmware updates were included on each Nav DVD update. This was Nav unit specific updates and had nil to do with Comand. Might consider trying a map update and see if it clears.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts