Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1988 420 SEL
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone tell me, does the top of the dashboard come apart from the small strip beneath the wood trim? im wondering because ive found a decent looking black replacement dash but the bottom is beige and my interior is the blue grey.

·
Always Remembered RIP
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

From the few pictures in the manual, it appears to be one piece - but I have never had to take it out, others have so would know for sure.

You could always dye the bottom beige part to your colour using dye by companies such as Leatheique who make a range of MB colours.

If you fill out your profile through the user control panel at the top, others can provide model/location specific answers to your questions.

The search function at the top can uncover a wealth of information also.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
43,793 Posts
can someone tell me, does the top of the dashboard come apart from the small strip beneath the wood trim? im wondering because ive found a decent looking black replacement dash but the bottom is beige and my interior is the blue grey.
Have you tried a forum search? The archive has a wealth of information.

Please click 'User CP' on the top tool bar, and complete your profile with a location and model of your car.
It makes it easier for members to offer advice. MB produced different, and region / Country specific versions of our cars.

Welcome, to take advantage of all the forum features, please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY stickies.
It will show how to search the forum (3 words min.), and has a link to the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#.
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
1988 420 SEL
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool thanks for the replys. it sounds like the dye is the way to go? has anyone seen how it looks?

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,129 Posts
cool thanks for the replys. it sounds like the dye is the way to go? has anyone seen how it looks?
i was just reading about some paint in another forum, ill try & find it later if someone else dosent

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
43,793 Posts
It's not that hard to change the color on the dash. The correct paint for plastic/ vinyl with UV filter is about $100 a quart. You can probably use a dye as well.
Cheers

·
Registered
1983 300SD 169k miles
994 Posts
You could always dye the bottom beige part to your colour using dye by companies such as Leatheique who make a range of MB colours.
Gasp! :crybaby2: (tears of joy) The cracks in my dashboard have been killing me, yet it's so hard to find blue dashboards. For some reason I've never thought of this. Will the dye go lighter, like black to blue, or do I need to live with a black top?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I replaced the dash (black) in my 83 SD last year with one from a junk yard. My interior is light grey and the dash was palamino. I had purchased a can of spray dye from World Interiors. I sprayed into the cap and used a small paint brush and with 2 coats you could not tell the dash was not originally grey. I was amazed at how well it covered and looked. I ended up re-staining my transmission housing as it had some marks on it and the who dash and center housing look like new. I'm still amazed at how easy it was.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts