Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1982 240D, 1983 300D
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1983 300d. I turn the key and it takes anywhere from instantly to 30 seconds for the car to start turning over. I have had alternator/battery problems recently, but this seems different.

I have not done any work on the starting system of the car (iginition switch, starter and so on) so I don't know anything about what parts are in the system that could go wrong. Do you think it's the starter or could it be something else?

Thank You!

·
Registered
1982 240D, 1983 300D
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK...maybe it's the alternator

I just went out to try to start the car -- wouldn't turn over. Checked the battery and it's at 12.25. YUCK!

So, charged the battery and the car turned over and started.

HERE'S THE NEW QUESTIONS:::

I used a 55amp alternator from my 240D to replace the 300d alternator, which I think it 65 amp. The reason is I thought the alternator in the 240d was bad and replaced it -- it wasn't bad so I used it to replace the bad alternator in the 300d.

I have a 2 tank veggie system and have a veggie heater. Could it be the 55amp alternator just can't handle the veggie heater? Do most people put in a really big alternator to deal with this when the do a veggie conversion.

THANKS!

·
Registered
'78 240D 4-speed greasel
312 Posts
hmmm... Is your veggie heater electric? Mine is heated via the cooling system. But if the 300d alternator outputs more than the 240d then thats got to be your problem. Or at least it seems the most obvious.

my conversion uses electric valves and multiple sensors that is all powered by a digital computer, and i also have a GPS system, and my car does fine...

·
Registered
1982 240D, 1983 300D
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. The Veggie heater is electric. I have the radiator fluid heating the 2nd tank as well as a fuel filter/heater, but then it goes throught the veggie therm that gets it up to 150 degrees.

I wondering if folks with electric heaters like that end up changing their alternators over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts