Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help<br> the lights on the dash and all switch lights on my 280CE have gone out.<br> I have checked the fuses and they are alright.<br> I cannot see where the problem is.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i freaked out once when this happened to me,it still dose from time to time.<br> <br> heres the problem, do u live near the sea?<br> well i do and the sea salt has gotten into my dash (dont know how) and corroded the dimmer on the dash.<br> the slightest touch and it gos out, to get it back its a constant routeen of turning the brightness up and down (even though the lights remain out) to get the perfect point at which the terminals meet and the dash lights up. sometimes u get it right away sometimes it takes 10 mins. <br> <br> i just leave it and hope it dosent go out (hasnt for a few months now) just get your lights back then leave it alone, do not reset the 3 digit counter.<br> <br> hope this helps<br> <br> you could allway s get a new dial.<br> <br> louis

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mark,<br> On my '81 240D, I have a similar problem to Louis'. If I fiddle with the dimmer/odo-reset, I can get it to come back. Other times it comes back by itself. I find it kind of amusing. Good luck, John

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can restore function to the dimmer switch, which is probably rusty, by turning it back and forth 100 to 150 times. This will to grind away most of the rust that has built up. Worked great on my 300TD, which had no light working in the dash when I bought it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check the dimmer switch, it corrodes if not used for long periods. Just rotate it a couple of times untill it works again.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've tried the dimmer but this has not solved the problem.<br> Its not just the dash lights that aren't working its also the lights on all the swithes<br> like the sunroof switch, back light switch illumination lights etc<br> Any other ideas.<br> I have checked the fuses and they are all ok<br> Regards<br> Mark

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the dimmer dial controlls the dash lights aswell as the lights in the centre consoll.<br> <br> keep at it it took me max of 15 mins once. <br> <br> if it dosent come back i can only sugest replacing the dial.<br> <br> <br> turn it slowly, really slowly, try pusing it in a few times, tap the sides of it, push it in half way while turning it etc<br> <br> try all poss ways that u can think of that may result in the metal contacts inside, to grind against each other. u want that so any corrosion wares away and it can conduct properley again.<br> <br> louis<br>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.