Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may be a simple question, but nothing about this car to date has been simple. Currently all lights and indicators in the instrument cluster are dark and non-functional. Inclusive in this are turn signal indictors, speedometer, tachometer etc- you all get the point. Apparently there was a burning smell accompanied with the issue. Is this as simple as a fuse replacement or is there something bigger going on? All of the lights, indicators, and functions seem ok but the instrument cluster appears non functional.

Please help.

Thanks
TIM

·
Registered
376 Posts
The instrument cluster going dead is a common problem with the W215's. MB extended the warranty to ten years (free replacement). My '02's went last year and was replaced under this extended warranty. This applies to USA MB's. Actually, it is a partial recall by VIN and an extended warranty for the remainder of the W215's. Since you have not filled out your profile info, it's impossible to determine if either pertains to you. Take a minute and complete it as it will help others help you. You can call 800-for-merc to see if you qualify. Have your VIN handy as they'll need it. Of course, we aren't sure if this is the problem with your cluster.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will tackle this tomorrow by calling MB and see what they can do. Hopefully I fall into the recall range as I only have 45 days left in 2011to get this done.

Thanks for the guidance.
TIM

·
Registered
376 Posts
FYI, the 10 extended warranty starts on in service date of the car, not manfacture date. I would call the number above as they can provide you with all recall info including if your car is up to date. I have an '02 and there have been a couple of recalls.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quick update

So I actually sat in the car today to take a look. For those that had this issue, did the parking sensors in the front also become non-operative? I am wondering if I have a fuse issue rather than the instrument cluster issue as my SRS light did light up and turn off upon starting the vehicle. Sorry for all of the questions, I am simply trying to educate myself before confronting MBUSA (I did have the recall, but missed the deadline by 6 months).

Thanks
TIM

·
Registered
376 Posts
So I actually sat in the car today to take a look. For those that had this issue, did the parking sensors in the front also become non-operative? I am wondering if I have a fuse issue rather than the instrument cluster issue as my SRS light did light up and turn off upon starting the vehicle. Sorry for all of the questions, I am simply trying to educate myself before confronting MBUSA (I did have the recall, but missed the deadline by 6 months).

Thanks
TIM
Are you sure about the recall. I didn't think recalls had an expiration date whereas warranties do. As far as the instrument cluster problem with my '02 CL, all I recall is that my wife came home one day and said the dash instruments were dead. I called MB the next day and they said it was a common problem and to bring it in. I did so and I watched the tech replace the cluster which took about 45 minutes total.

Again, I would call MBUSA asap to see where you stand with the warranty. My guess is that it is your problem and not a simple fuse.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I will use this old thread rather than start a new one. My 2000 CL500 has had a flickering light in the Center of the Cluster for a few months now. Its getting worse too.
A couple of times the entire cluster has failed at 'Start" to work completely.
I remember years ago I looked at my VIN# and it was not on the "Dash Instrument" Recall list. I have not taken my Car to the "Stealership" in years so I dont thinK MBUSA will be very friendly. Any Ideas ? Whats the damage on this Dash Cluster ?

·
Registered
566 Posts
could be a number of things. bad fuse somewhere. bad relay somewhere. faulty x4/10 fuse block under passenger carpet. any other symptoms or history? might just be some corroded wiring

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same issue on my 01 CL500. If you're not covered under the recall, here's the company that was able to repair mine at a very reasonable cost with a warranty and really quick turnaround. You just need a special tool (looks like 2 keys) to pull the cluster. It's really simple to pull out. Also, when the instrument cluster goes out, all the other stuff in the dash (lighting, distance sensors etc.) goes dark too.

ModuleMaster

I highly recommend these guys.

Cheers,
Marty

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello to all. Late yesterday got the news from the dealership though bad news as a whole they were in their minds "doing me a favor" from a price just shy of $3,000 to only $2,100. I was also told that while it is expensive call MB USA North America. Sometime they do assist insuch repairs "recalls" to which my car they say was not a part of. So today I'll call again. Marty thank you for the info on the repair. If Mercedes does nothing well the cluster will be going there. Thank you all again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts