Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased a new dashboard which "fits" over the cracked one? I have a 1986 420 SEL and the dashboard is cracked in several places. Will the new fitted ones sold on-line work. It doesn't have to look perfect. Thanks.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I had one on my W107 and it worked well and looked good. By no means perfect , but overall I was satisfied. I do remember I paid a bit for it, and did not buy the "made in china " brand,

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have a dash pad and it is almost a perfect fit. Make sure it is the Palco/Dashtop dash cover. It will fit nicely without glue but I recommend you spot glue it around the defroster openings as too much heat will warp it. Also get a sunshade or keep from direct sun when parked. Hard to tell it is not the original dash.
www.dashtop.com/
https://ppembzparts.com ..

·
Registered
503 Posts
Always go for a replacement dash without cracks or damage, you'll be 100% satisfied and they're not too expensive. I can pull a dash in about 40 min

·
W201 Moderator
2,216 Posts
Agree with macdeity fully. Certain years do not crack, I'm sure they can be found in junk yards. I did for less than $100. My dash looks brand new now.

·
W201 Moderator
2,216 Posts
Agreed. JY's are drying up even here now though for this vintage.. Having to be very patient from now on....

- Cheers!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Finding a 126 in a junkyard in southeast isn't happening...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Agree with macdeity fully. Certain years do not crack, I'm sure they can be found in junk yards. I did for less than $100. My dash looks brand new now.
Which years don't seem to crack? Is it the passenger side airbag years, like '89-'91? Maybe they reformulated the vinyl.

·
W201 Moderator
2,216 Posts
W201's switched over for the '90 year model to better material. And it is not a minor improvement either. You will not see a single 90-93 W201 with a cracked dash even if it sat under the sun all it's life.
Pre 90's can be garaged all their life like mine and still crack easily. W126 years must be similar but not exactly the same.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Mine is an '87 (early gen 2) and has two dozen cracks! For future reference, are there any model specific windshield sunshades still made for our cars?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts