Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The central locking/unlocking switch on the dashboard is not operating the locks.
The central locking button on the key however works OK.
Is this likely to be a fuse or a problem with the switch circuit?

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Is this likely to be a fuse or a problem with the switch circuit?
If any other switches are working OK on the Upper Control Panel control unit (N72/1), eg, the Hazard pushbutton, your problem is not likely to be any fuse. So I would not go pulling them all out to be checked. Anyway only f25 is used to fuse that function.

I would expect the problem to be a faulty switch. Actually there are two separate switches for locking/unlocking. Do both fail?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If any other switches are working OK on the Upper Control Panel control unit (N72/1), eg, the Hazard pushbutton, your problem is not likely to be any fuse. So I would not go pulling them all out to be checked. Anyway only f25 is used to fuse that function.

I would expect the problem to be a faulty switch. Actually there are two separate switches for locking/unlocking. Do both fail?
Thanks for your replies.

Yes the other switches on that upper unit all are OK.
The switch in question is a two way flip switch and neither its locking or unlocking function work.

Is a big job to access/check and/or remove this switch?

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Thanks for your replies.

Is a big job to access/check and/or remove this switch?
Not too difficult if your CLK is post face-lift (after June 2004). We discussed it here earlier this year.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1510001-removing-switchrow.html

If it is before that date, more work is required. The ashtray must come out to get access to the 2 screws that hold the bottom of the central console cover in place. That is a large plastic (or walnut) section, that surrounds the COMAND (if fitted) and it contains the switch groups of N72/1 - the upper control panel control unit. I have a drawing of that procedure, if necessary.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Just before I do that (because there is quite a bit of work invoved in the preparation of the drawings) I want to make sure that your upper control panel is the same as mine - behind the cover. I have attached an image of mine below. (On later models, the UCP can be removed on it's own, as the cover is split into sections)

Here, there is one large cover that goes around the UCP, COMAND/radio, and the a/c system. Is yours like this?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
OK - It is quite a task to get this panel out according to the WIS instructions, as the sequence requires the removal of the ashtray to get to the panel bottom screws. To get the ashtray out, they require you to move the shift lever out of P (as it blocks the way). So you are told to use the shift-lock override feature to achieve that.

The row of switches that are the upper control panel are assembled on to the panel itself, so you have to undo a connector. You can check the switch operation at the connector. I can look up the pin details later, if required.

I have wondered if it is easier to place the shift lever into R or N or D (with the engine running) and then simply switch the ignition off, leaving the key in posn 0. Then pull the ashtray out.

However the full WIS instructions are below.

1. remove center console panel
2. remove ashtray
3. remove cover on gear lever
4. shift-lock override

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts