Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile back I remember finding a site that sold just the internal rubber diaphragms. Of course now that I need some, I cant find it, anyone know of a source for these?

I finally tested all mine tonight and found I've got 5 of them that are blown. That adds up quickly if I have to buy the whole thing.

Also, Does anyone have the vacuum diagram? specifically color coding of the lines etc, that would be a big help.

Thanks
JH

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
service CDs show the lines, I can try digging them up later when I have time - what year/model?

George Murphy at Performance Analysis sells the kits...

[email protected]
865-482-9175

969 Oak Ridge turnpike
Oak Ridge, TN 37830

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,275 Posts
Check out Minkoff posts. He has a thread with pics re removing the dash and replacing the pods.
There is another threads w. pics showing the repair of pods.
Cheers

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I went out and pulled the ones out of my 84 parts car- all but one were still good. I'm going to use one of the other dual diaphram ones and grind off the rod on it and rivet on the one that I need to make it work. Seems like a good idea on paper right now anyways. The duals are $50 a pop and I'm not going to be dumping that much into them for a little piece of rubber.

Some dual ones can have the inner rubber removed and swapped over to a different pod, where as the one sandwiched inbetween the two plastic pieces appears to not be removable- without destroying the other part you need to make it work, I cant figure out a way to release the two pieces to get the diaphragm out - hence why I'm just going to swap the rods on the end.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, the dual pods are still $50 there, same as my cost from work. The single pods are about $30, again, same as work.

The site I was talking about a few years ago sold the insrts for something like $5-$10 each.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I paid about $50-60 for the "kit" from George Murphy to rebuild all the pods in the car. Of course I haven't done it yet...!

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I disassembled and replaced the rubber successfully in 107's; I would spend the extra money to get the "tool" because it's very difficult to take apart 20+year old plastic without breaking it even WITH the tool.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what tool would that be? They are a pain to disassemble, I usualy end up poking myself with the screwdriver.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If you use a small or pointed screw to lightly screw one into each of the pink to pink tab connections it holds each little tab and stops it snapping back together out unitl you're ready to pull it all apart. For the black tab connections I used a small knife and pushed it up underneath the tab which popped it out for me.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
While I was doing the dash refurbishment on my '84 500SEL, I just bit the bullet and replaced them all with new ones. You may spend a bit more but you know that they are new and that you should get 15-20 years without having to dive under the dash or removing it again.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Does he sell a tool to do the rebuild as well? I checked my kit and there isn't one in there.

·
Registered
461 Posts
John, are these the valves that control the heat and air ? If so, that may be whats wrong with my 420. My heat works fine if you do not change the setting, after starting up, but blows cold if you change. Requiring a stop and shutting off the engine, and another start-up. Bruce changed the mono-valve before I bought it. Is this a difficult repair? Thanks Sheldon :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
for the tool, do you mean for the double ones? I didnt use any special tool when I fixed mine- I also snagged my replacements out of 2 of my parts cars so I have used rubber in mine :(

Sheldon, its possible that they could be contributing to it, but Heat is still controlled by the monovalve, monitior what signal its getting when you change for he first time and when you try to go back to heat, see what its reading then too. I wonder if your acc head is dying.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts