Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300 SE
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '90 300 SE and I was wondering if someone could explain to me how to remove the area that houses the radio and ashtray. I have to be able to get behind the radio to run a cable to the area under the dash on the passenger side. Right now, I have an alpine radio and there is a sat tuner on the pass side under that flap that is attached to the dash. I think I need to rerun the cable and I can't figure out how to get in there. Pics would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

·
1991 500SEC Euro, 1987 560SEC Federal
5,464 Posts
Hi,

Do a search for: remove console .

You'll quickly see what is necessary to do.

Cheers, MBL

·
Registered
560/sel/sec/Jag XJS
1,930 Posts
bigdaddyd300se said:
I have a '90 300 SE and I was wondering if someone could explain to me how to remove the area that houses the radio and ashtray. I have to be able to get behind the radio to run a cable to the area under the dash on the passenger side. Right now, I have an alpine radio and there is a sat tuner on the pass side under that flap that is attached to the dash. I think I need to rerun the cable and I can't figure out how to get in there. Pics would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Don't feel bad....I had a receiver installed by a Pro Shop.....they had no idea either...they ended up prying the receiver out with a screw-driver that ripped the consol & cracked & chipped the Burlwood above the dash tray...
When I came to pick it up..there was a small pile of un-replaced splintered wood sitting on the floor.I asked the owner,kinda in a nice way,WHAT THE [email protected]#$ DID YOU DO??????
He told me,"We are an Install & fabrication shop & sometimes original pieces must be removed"

They charged me $125.00.....I sued...& 1 yr later received a payment of $3600.
So..my advice to you is ...>"Let the Pro's handle it".

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
You don't need to remove the centre dash bits.

Remove the under dash panel on both sides, the carpeted pieces - 4 phillips screws and lower and pull out.

Then remove the floor mats on both pass and driver side and simply pull back the centre console side panels - just pull them downwards slightly and outwards.

Then you cna run all the wires you like from pass to drivers side ro vice versa.

Pulling the radio and ashtray out won't help much at all.

talbir

Reactions: Martin_UK

·
Registered
1990 300 SE
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
talbir said:

Remove the under dash panel on both sides, the carpeted pieces - 4 phillips screws and lower and pull out.

Then remove the floor mats on both pass and driver side and simply pull back the centre console side panels - just pull them downwards slightly and outwards.

Then you cna run all the wires you like from pass to drivers side ro vice versa.

talbir
This makes the most sense. I actually did have my radio and satellite pro installed. Best Buy did the sat and did a crap job. I had to figure out how to get to it and rework it. That was that pull down flap thing on the pass side. He must of must up because there are no more plastic screws holding that in, but the two pieces tuck together anyway and stay put so it hasn't been an issue. he ran the wire to the ainet in on my alpine through the back of that console. Going under would have made more sense.

·
Registered
1990 300 SE
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
talbir said:

talbir
I just wanted to say a big thank you to talbir. I did what you said today and everything worked out well. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts