Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 2002 ml320 160,000 miles. Every time i put key in or shut down car i here a noise under the dash. sounds like something circulating. Anyone have any ideas... thanks

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
You are not to wordy on this problem in that you don't explain what circulating is: air or fluid.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,767 Posts
Your vehicle has coolant circulating pump and e-box cooling fan that run for 10 minutes after shutdown or whenever key is on. How long have you had this vehicle? How long noise lasts?

It also has several servo motors that operate air vents. Try to pinpoint location of the noise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all for the reply. The noise sounds like a motor moving back and fourth under the center part of the dash.

·
Registered
ML320 2002
1,602 Posts
Agree with Witek. Broken sleeve of center duct actuator can cause non stop clicking and motor noise. Notch of the sleeve is what stops the motor. You need to check the flap inside the duct just like the user on the above link. If the flap is constantly turning, diagnosis is correct and the fix is easy. SDS resetting is not a must. Here are the pictures of the broken sleeve and location of the motor (after removal).

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys... Thats the exact same problem. Anyone have any Suggestion on where to buy replacement part. Thanks again for the help....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
one more question.. Will this also prevent my front defrost vents from working. once again thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
24,029 Posts
You will have to remove the instrument cluster to replace the broken drive sleeve.

This part is only available at the dealer. Part number is furnished in Tech. Serv. Bulletin.
TSB says VIN A289560 and up, so this problem afflicts only 2002- models with the

"upgraded" CC system.

Is that correct ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts