Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
63,271 Posts
When I did my interior I tried cool, warm (around 4500k) some 3000k and could never find a good balance so I went back to original bulbs on everything. I had high hopes but was disappointed with the results.

Do you know the wattage on that SMD array you used?

·
Registered
1991 350SDL
1,124 Posts
Here's some photos from this morning. The light ended up very even!

I don't know how much power the LEDs I got use. As you can see they have 5 leds on them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 350SDL
1,124 Posts
Oh, in case it wasn't clear, the 2 pictures above are with the dimmer all the way down, and all the way up.

·
Registered
1991 350SDL
1,124 Posts
I should have taken a before picture. Before having the dial at 60% was about the same brightness as having it all the way down now.

-J

·
Premium Member
63,271 Posts
That's what I found too. Definitely brighter just couldn't get the right color tone.

Went back to analog, painted the needles, added rings and replaced the speedometer face.

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
249 Posts
This resurrects an old thread on dim lights and yellow needles that some newbies may find useful. Dim lights have been bothering me for some time and I am shocked, shocked to learn that my yellow needles should be orange:).

As regards the dim lights, I have replaced the two 3W bulbs and bypassed the rheostat for somewhat of an improvement (at night I can see the needles now, but its still not bright and sharp). Does anybody have additional suggestions?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,794 Posts
I went back to normal bulbs, LED never looked right to me. Silver foil is good in the bulb fitment areasthough to help reflect light down the prisms.
Biggest problem is yellow or melted prisms due to bulbs that seem correct but are too high wattage so get too warm.

An overly bright cluster is not in keeping with the design of the car which is to be easy on the eye on long high speed journeysto decrease stress. In unlit areas it needs to be very dim to not be an absolute pain.

However if you're a town driver you won't notice that problem, it won't be an issue at all.

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,200 Posts
Well, I was able to get a LED which could be dimmed. I was mainly trying to lower the heat in the cluster. There are not many places however that you can put led in without triggering the German gremlins hiding in the CPU. They are a tough bunch!

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,794 Posts
Yes my last cluster LED were dimmable and were red which looked quite nice. For some reason they didn't last that long and after the second replacement went the same way I went back to normal bulbs bought from MB.

I still use LED in the boot and puddle lights, and all the interior ones but I colour those interior ones with salmon pink glass paint so they aren't unpleasant. It's a subtle effect but makes it much nicer.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts