Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the main forum... brand new to this here... and I've found the home of the owners. Any help is appreciated.

I was running an errand today when my dash died. Everything stopped working except the fuel efficiency gauge (no speedo, tach, oil pressure, temp, odo, turn signals) but the headlights do turn on.

Suggestions? Is this a fuse issue or something much more major? If it is a fuse so where are they? Had the car for about a year really haven't had any problems until now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right on. That is exactly it... #5 is blown. I looked under the hood and in the trunk but didn't see that panel thanks a lot! Now I have to find a place that sells these...

Paul

·
Registered
1985 500SL 130K (Horst)
4,442 Posts
These are special fuses. I doubt you'll get them in any auto parts store. They are a dealer item or you can order them from autohausaz.com. Temporarily you probably can pull a fuse from somewhere else less important. I blew a a fuse that knocked out my instruments when I hit the instrument cluster against the frame while working on the dash.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts
Werner W said:
These are special fuses. I doubt you'll get them in any auto parts store.

Not to be argumentative, but there is nothing particularly special about the fuses. Just very Deutch-like. The very same style and amperages were used on every Beetle made, and you can find them at any well stocked parts store.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
Suggestions? Is this a fuse issue or something much more major?
If the fuse doesn't fix it, check the ground to the instrument cluster. They've been known to go, and there's just one ground point.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,194 Posts
. Everything stopped working except the fuel efficiency gauge (no speedo, tach, oil pressure, temp, odo, turn signals) but the headlights do turn on.
Fuel economy gauge operates with engine vacuum...that's why it would work without power to the cluster.
The fuse was #5 in my fuse box, as well.....and Scott makes a good point about the ground.
I added an extra ground...cluster to frame....because this is a known problem.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
Which is the instrument cluster ground wire? What color is it?
All my ground wires are brown. They probably kept the same scheme through the years.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,194 Posts
Brown it is....but you can ADD another ground wire.

Your choice of colour......as long as it's brown.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found the fuse at a dealer. $1.04 (that includes the tax). My wife could not believe I got it fixed for $1.04.

One thing I did notice while the fuse was blown: the mileage did not increment. I was shocked to see this... cannot believe that isn't mechanical and unrelated to dash electronics.

Makes me wonder how much mileage fraud is going on.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,302 Posts
I found the fuse at a dealer. $1.04 (that includes the tax). My wife could not believe I got it fixed for $1.04.

One thing I did notice while the fuse was blown: the mileage did not increment. I was shocked to see this... cannot believe that isn't mechanical and unrelated to dash electronics.

Makes me wonder how much mileage fraud is going on.
The days of mechanical speedo cables are long gone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts