Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do u guys use to fill in the cracks in dash, the ones i have come from the corner of the speaker grills, its too thick to superglue back, i think. is there any of those black molding like creams u can stick in there or soething, thanks

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,430 Posts
vdubpower - 5/13/2005 5:32 PM

what do u guys use to fill in the cracks in dash, the ones i have come from the corner of the speaker grills, its too thick to superglue back, i think. is there any of those black molding like creams u can stick in there or soething, thanks
I’ve never used one personally, but you could try a vinyl repair kit. I’ve also read on another Benz board that some people have had success in stopping the spread of their dash cracks by drilling a very, very small hole at the end of the crack and then filling it in.

Other than that, I don’t think there is much you can do in terms of repair.

·
Registered
1988 560SEL sold:
4,717 Posts
Just realized mine had tiny ones at the corner of both dash speakers. The car has been garage kept most of its life and the still vibrant orange numerals on instrument cluster attest to that.
So it came as a shock to me since I was feeling rather good about the car interior being in pretty good shape. It's like finding a crow's feet on one's wife's face one morning.

·
Registered
300 SEL (1989)
369 Posts
Tried unsuccessfully to repair my 280SE with a vinyl repair kit purchased in the US. Finally, replaced the
the dashboard (used) for SIN $ 120/-

The vinyl repair kit worked well to repair the seat covers.

·
Registered
1988 420 SEL about 52,000 mileage
354 Posts
I didn't see a small crack around my left dashboard speaker, which only became apparent when I used 303 and it provided a little more shine. The interior is in great shape and was always garaged, so I was also surprised and disappointed to see a crack.

Does anyone have a specific brand of vinyl repair to recommend for the dashboard?

Just realized mine had tiny ones at the corner of both dash speakers. The car has been garage kept most of its life and the still vibrant orange numerals on instrument cluster attest to that.
So it came as a shock to me since I was feeling rather good about the car interior being in pretty good shape. It's like finding a crow's feet on one's wife's face one morning.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,780 Posts
When seen from underneath (dashboard off), the cracks are often bigger.
I found a good dash at the wreckers and replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts