Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just put new motor in 93 sl 300 everything worked before now when i turn on dash lights low fuel light oil light ect flash and the only thing that works is the ene been workin on gene temp checked all the fuses(#5) and over load breaker fuses any ideas done everything i can think of and i have been workin on cars all my life help [email protected]

still not working tryed fuses relays the caps inside dash and still dose same thing anymore ideas lol help help help

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
Do a search for blinking dash lights. Maybe you've had the electrolytic caps fail. Pretty cheap and easy fix!

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,122 Posts
That is a type of (electronic) capacitor, if you don't know what that is then repairing the cluster is pretty much beyond what you can do yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK

YOUR TALKIN ABOUT THE 470 CAP AND THE 2 100'S THAT ARE IN THE CLUSTER ITSELF THAT IS WHERE I WAS HEADING NEXT JUST DID'NT GET THE COMUNICATION I A LITTLE SLOW TODAY LOL THANKS SEEN THAT ON YOUTUBE LOL THANK YOU DENNIS

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
still no work

anyone got any other idea an how to fix dash blinkin lights when ya turn key on then nothing works ecepted water temp help help help lol

·
Registered
94 SL600, 89 Jag XJS conv, 85 Daimler Princess, 97 993 63 Avanti 16 Lincoln MKZ hybrid 16 Silverado
720 Posts
93, your level of understanding is far beyond mine. I encountered several electrical oddities when I was routing some mirror turn indicator LED's. The issue was corrected with replacement of festoon bulbs in the interior, also two 8 amp fuses melted so I may have had other wire short problems., Fuse, wire quality and bulbs would be my check list. The instrument caps have not degenerated for me yet, but I expect to buy Radio Shack replacements in the near future!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello harley93dawg; I had the same problem with my 92 500SL took it to Benz world in Lithonia Ga. they said the fuses were bad, not blown just bad so they replaced them and problem solved. I did the capacitor replacement, that didn't work.

·
Registered
'94 SL500
26 Posts
I just recently had the same issue, all dash lights flashing and gauges aren't working. When I open the door it stops!! Was replacing the rearview mirror (a whole other thing), the dome light flickered and went out. I pull both out and still have the blinking cluster lights. Checked the fuses and they appear fine, in fact I had them all changed 4 years ago.

Could this be a bad cluster board/component, or ? Can it be diagnosed through the electrical diagnostic tool at the dealer/shop?

·
Registered
'94 SL500
26 Posts
UPDATE - Replaced the engine harness, although I know that was not the problem, and it wasn't. Bought the new/better fuses and went to replace all of them, although they were replaced about 2-3 years ago. While doing so, found the culprit - blown fuse on interior light circuit!! Problem solved!!

LESSON LEARNED - Check you freaking fuses first!!! Although replacing my engine harness was the right thing to do (the insulation was powder!), although I blew almost the entire summer on a dead car.

Thanks to everyone for your input and advice.

Best
Alan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts