Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I drive my 05 500 mostly on vacation trips down the East Coast Crrridor between MD and FL so she's been in the garage for a while since I haven't been vacationing lately. So, after all the problematic posts I have read recently, yesterday I took the truck out, 55, 60, 80, 90, 100, 120 and JSC, this machine is as stable as they come. At 90, I stomped hard on the brakes, ...just to see, and the machine behaved as if I was doing 55 or below, WOW!!!! So, I said to myself: How does this compare to my Z, a 2-seater coupe with 300+ HP and a few more performance upgrades. Took her out, same route, 55, 60, 80, 90, 120, 100 and +++++, amazing feeling. The smoothness of a 1996 car compared with a 2005 ML! Amazing what the Japanese did with this car! Then I took my wife's 325i, same route, same speeds, ..well, that car is comfortable but not a contender. The Z won, in time to distance, but the ML is still the one I'd take if it's not only me in the vehicle. After 5 years and 72K+ on the ODO, my 05 ML500 is still a very potent player on the roads. Forget about what the print media spouts, but these vehicles are really potent on many terrains. That's my peve for the evening. What's your latest xperience?

OK, why do I do this? Heck I was bored and frankly depressed with all the problematic ML posts - maybe I'll have a problem after this adventure, but who cares? Also, 1/2hr from home is a wide open rural road, with no cars and no cops, so I can xperiment to my last wishes on its near 1.5-mile straightaway!

·
Registered
2003 ML 500 ,2009 C300 ,Porsche 1986 944 , 1997 Toyota Tacoma,1978 Cessna 152
30 Posts
Good post.
I agree that I read a lot of the post's about issues with the W163 and I decided this past weekend it has formed an opinion in my mine even though I did not know it.
This past Saturday night we were going to Halloween party and found we had forgot something and had to go back home. This made us late so we had to hurry to make it there on time. I have an 03 ML500 sport and almost never drive it hard because I need to replace the transmission mounts. WOW ,I had forgot how strong this thing is. I have been driving it so easy so it was like a new car to me. I thought about it and I had in the past started to think not so good of the ML because of related issues we read about but the drive reminded me of how good it really is. And I must add I have had it almost a year and it has been a really good car for the most part so far.
We all need to keep in mind that for the most part people find these forums and post because they have issues and once they fix the issue most people do not take the time to post that back. So therefore we mostly hear the bad and not too much good. I must admit it has made me more cautious about the ML W163 series.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Great posts and I totally agree with the both of you.

There is no greater pleasure than hearing the V8 engine growl, downshift from 4th to 3rd gear on kickdown and up smoothly again through the gears again to 5th - Just sublime!:thumbsup:

ML55 AMG (W163) :sloppy: FAR888

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
2008 ML350 (Me!), 2010 GLK350 (Wife), 2003 ML-350 (Deceased)
1,571 Posts
Praise the Great Flying Spaghetti Monster....I love mine too! :p

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
Sure there are newer and (maybe) better options out there now, but you have to have some respect for a truck that performs this well and is eleven years old.

Gotta love these things.

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,103 Posts
Sure there are newer and (maybe) better options out there now, but you have to have some respect for a truck that performs this well and is eleven years old.

Gotta love these things.
You need to emphasize the (MAYBE) a little more. I haven't found anything that would come close to tempting me to trade in my 05ML500.
Mike

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
True, very true.

Admittedly, I am a creature of habit, but even the new W164s (which I do like, by the way) aren't enough to pull me away from this beautiful truck.

As soon as the rain ends, I think it's time to spend some quality time with my truck.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
394 Posts
I'm becoming fond of my '99 ML 430.

It was purchased under unfortunate circumstances; my wife got a new job in Anchorage and I let her take my beloved, tricked up, my hands have been on every piece of it, '99 Chrysler 300M to ANC, and she totalled it on her third day there. I felt the same way about it that some of you have expressed about your MLs; I knew there was newer and facially better, but I couldn't find anything at any reasonable price that I liked better, so I just kept the M immaculate and kept it. And then it died.

I'll admit to not having been real happy with Chrysler for not doing anything to try to preserve the value of a vehicle that had once been their flagship and one of Car and Driver's 10 Best, but the insurance paid off enough to almost buy the ML 430 which was in pretty much the same cosmetic shape though with more miles - it's hard to put a lot of miles on a vehicle in Juneau, which can only be reached by sea or air - and the ML retailed for almost half as much again as the 300M when new.

It was clear that the PO of this ML had taken the same care for the ML as I had for my 300M. It has a little Safeway Rash and the roof doesn't work, but it doesn't leak, but other than that, it is well-maintained and will still turn heads. It was originally a lease in in Phoenix, and either that guy or the PO went through the accessory catalogs with a magnet; there's not much to want except a modern navigation system, but, that said, a Garmin is plenty and the Bose sounds good. I have a bunch of Sirius gear because Juneau is a radio wasteland, so I may stick Sirius in it so we can have radio when we're outside Anchorage; there's lots of miles of road in Alaska where there is NO radio reception unless you have satellite or shortwave - and I never learned to like the CBC or BBC.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
2,800 Posts
You buy an ML and then you drive it for your pleasure. Then when your warranty has ended you tinker a bit. And when you have tinkered a bit, you get to know here a little. And you read more and more of her problems that may happen in the future, and you build up knowledge about her. Then you think that will not happen to me. And all is well for a while. This truck gets hold of you a little. Then something goes wrong and its too late. Whatever get your wallet out. You know you love it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts