Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is an update. Aaron has replaced the upper rails. The tensioner tightening lever below is a single piece, without the separate lining that is shown in the EPC. Is it fair to assume that the two piece (lever/lining) is a current part that will work on early engines???

In the third pic below, note the grooves in that tensioning rail. We can look down under that tensioning rail to the lower passenger side rail (number 9 in the diagram). Unable to take a pic though. It has grooves that are at least as deep on the lower rail. Replace????

Finally, will we be able to remove the timing cover by jacking the engine just a bit to loosen the pan???

Thanks for sharing our adventure.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
7,143 Posts
...In the third pic below, note the grooves in that tensioning rail. We can look down under that tensioning rail to the lower passenger side rail (number 9 in the diagram). Unable to take a pic though. It has grooves that are at least as deep on the lower rail. Replace????

Finally, will we be able to remove the timing cover by jacking the engine just a bit to loosen the pan???
What's your piece of mind worth?

Yes, you may be able to remove the timing cover as you mention. The deal is you have to get enough clearance to disconnect the chain driving the oil pump, which may require the pan to be dropped further away than you can with just jacking the engine up. If you do, be sure to take care when replacing the timing cover so as not to damage the gasket between it and the heads. Damage here will result in heads being removed to replace head gaskets!

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
It just can't be easy can it ? You are right, where the heck do you stop ? I am going to remove my 73's engine and trans to paint the engine bay. While I have it out, I may as well renew gaskets. And as long as I am doing that, check the rails and bearings. It's never easy, and never ends ! Good thing you have a top flight mechanic on the payroll !:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts