Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300SL
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Road America Race Track this past weekend as a spectator, watching the vintage car racing. When I was leaving the circuit with my 1991 300SL I backed into a garbage dumpster/container and put a “BIG DENT” in my trunk lid and broke the tail light lens.
Also the flat panel where the trunk key lock is got slightly bent. The bumper is good…scratches only, but it will need paint. I need some advice. I do not have full-coverage insurance so I’d like to do some of the work myself.

Where can I buy the passenger-side tail light lens cheap?
Where could I find a Black trunk lid and is it easy to switch out?
What years and models will fit my 1991 R-129???

Thanks

Dakrri ..... in Wisconsin

·
Registered
2001 SL500 / 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 HO CTD / 2010 Subaru Outback
313 Posts
Bummer about the damage - I hope that the repairs go OK. I'm sure that you said something much stronger than "Dang-It" at the time, though!

Maybe someday you'll look back and laugh about this. I once clipped the rear quarter panel on a 944 backing out of a tight space in a parking garage. Concrete column 1, Porsche 0. Yeah, the car had major blind spots but it was still a dumb move. I told the body shop guys that it was a hit-and-run just to avoid any [email protected] comments! ;)

·
Registered
1991 300SL
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I said more than dang it....and I'll never hear the end of it from the wife and the couple we were with, but [email protected] I still think I can do some of the repair myself, but no luck yet on finding a salvage yard with a trunk lid...

·
Registered
1991 300SL
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok…I went to this website Used Auto Parts, Car Parts wrote in the parts that I needed. Which were a trunk lid and a passenger side taillight lens. I got 7 replies from various used auto parts dealers throughout the United States.

One guy in particular

Neil Haynes, Apex Auto Parts, Inc, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 888-868-3550 Toll Free Apex Auto Parts had the parts I needed but said the shipping would be expensive. He check his suppliers and hooked me up with a guy 35-miles away from my house. I bought both parts very reasonable and will be doing my repairs this weekend.

Dakrri

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 300CD, '85 500SEC, '97 SL320, '08 CLK350 Cabriolet
230 Posts
Dakrri, Found these guys when I was working on My W123's. Potomac German Auto : Nation's Largest Since 1979 It's nice that they're near by, but they will ship to almost anywhere. Most recently I got 2 soft top front hydraulic cylinders from them ($75 ea. no leaks). When I called they told me they only had 1 on the shelf. I said I'd call back in about a week since I would be driving up that way and could stop by. Two hours later he called me (must have got my number from caller ID) and said he found 2 more. They were sitting on my door step the next day when I got home from work. Someone on e-bay had a taillight listed recently, not sure if it was left or right.

By the way, how was the vintage car race? I went to this one last year Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix Associationand am planning on going again this year

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
Ouch.

Sorry about the damage, but I hope the race was enough fun to at least partially make it worthwhile.

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,798 Posts
When fitting the trunk/boot lid be sure to place a thick blanket across the body just behind the convertible top next to the lid hinges. If the lid slips when you are fitting it you will have more body damage to repair.

When I fitted my replacement (Third brake light) trunk lid I completely stripped it down because it had to go to the body shop for painting. The only fiddly things are refitting the latch striker plate and snapping back the trunk lid insulation pad.

When the lid is re-fixed to the hinges, re-aligning the latch and striker plate is a patience job as is getting the gaps right between the body and the trunk lid. This can involve some physical heaving and persuading :D

NOTE: do not use International Parcel Service of Clearwater Florida for shipping parts.
They smashed up my trunk lid and welshed on their obligatory insurance cover.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,372 Posts
Not to long a go.
There was someone in the forum who was adjusting the lock and with out thinking he closed the trunk, locking everything in it.

I think he had to brake the tail light in order to get in.

Not very smart.

Oh now I remember, it was me. :(
As they say it is only money right.
Be very careful my friend. ;)

Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was at Road America Race Track this past weekend as a spectator, watching the vintage car racing. When I was leaving the circuit with my 1991 300SL I backed into a garbage dumpster/container and put a “BIG DENT” in my trunk lid and broke the tail light lens.
Also the flat panel where the trunk key lock is got slightly bent. The bumper is good…scratches only, but it will need paint. I need some advice. I do not have full-coverage insurance so I’d like to do some of the work myself.

Where can I buy the passenger-side tail light lens cheap?
Where could I find a Black trunk lid and is it easy to switch out?
What years and models will fit my 1991 R-129???

Thanks

Dakrri ..... in Wisconsin
Sorry about the damage to your car. I have used Potomac German Auto with good results (Potomac German Auto : Nation's Largest Since 1979)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts