Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn you pothole! I will find and kill all potholes related to you and all your offspring.

Smacked into the grand canyon of potholes tonight downtown near where I live going about 40 mph. For Chicago people, beware of the evil pothole westbound on randolph just east of michigan. Didn't see it coming, it was dark. From the feel and sound of the impact I was sure both passenger side rims were bent but it turns out the 55's rims are mighty strong. The malicious and cunning pothole did manage to inflict a nice 2" long gash running across the lip edge on both wheels but fortunately not bent so repair will just be cosmetic. Looks like a simple refinishing on the edge is all it takes w/o even removing the tire then application of clearcoat. Any ideas? Anyone in the chicago area know of good place? Or if this is a potential DIY, enlighten me please.

btw, is the finish on the SLK55 wheel basically polished aluminum, unpainted, with merely a clearcoat over it? That's what it looks like to me, correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
SLK 200, Golf V GTI
269 Posts
RE: Damn you pothole! I will find and kill all potholes related to you and all your offspring.

I feel for you after experiencing two bent rims myself. Lucky you got away relatively unscathed. It is a potential DIY, depending on the severity of the damage, and your commitment! A friend did a touch up on his sl55 with great results, using this guide which was posted in the R170 forum a while back.

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=30

cheers

Jono

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
RE: Damn you pothole! I will find and kill all potholes related to you and all your offspring.

Jono,

Thanks for posting this great article.

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts

I'm sorry for your trauma. In your quest to find and kill all potholes, would you mind starting in my neighborhood in Pinckney, Michigan? :)

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts

Don't they fill in those things in the states? Good thing the roads over here are relatively well maintained so that we don't have things like that :\

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts

In Chicago, hardly a week goes by without a story about political coruption and no bid contracts going to friends of the mayor. If they spent money fixing pot holes, there wouldn't be enough for "the boys". When I was in London in 1969, we toured Parliament. There was a debate in the House of Commons about the danger of giving too much power to local governments. One of the gentlemen refered to "the City of Chicago in the United States" as the prime example of the coruption of local governments with too much power. Half way around the world and they were talking about Chicago.

·
Registered
SLK350
475 Posts

That moronic mayor ruined a beautiful little airport. And probably stole the money from the feds to do it.[:(][:(!]

Roberta

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
237 Posts

Roberta - 4/14/2005 5:03 PM

That moronic mayor ruined a beautiful little airport. And probably stole the money from the feds to do it.[:(][:(!]

Roberta
I'd always wanted to land there one day..... Fire him, folks[:(!]

So sorry to hear the story, masmole... Hope you can find someone that is able to fix the wheels. It could happen to me anytime in Chicago. When I was in Ohio (near cincinnati) I thought that the roads down there were the worst on this planet but...... I was very wrong.

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts

Chicago is great for moronic mayors and HUGE potholes. When I was at the University of Chicago, I remember seeing cars stuck in potholes on the south side. One opened up on 57th street that swallowed the entire front end of a Chevy Impalla. I am not kidding. My theory at the time was that tow truck drivers dug them at night to enhance business the next day.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts

That is a very believable theory. After they tow the car, see how many parts disappear before you can claim it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts