Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so pissed at myself ... cut a corner (going no more than 2 MPH) too closely and caught the right-rear. <br>
<br>
The result: about an eigth of an inch wide, one inch long scrape around the outer-most part of the rim. <br>
<br>
Hard to see unless you really look, so cosmetically I could live with it ... but what's going to happen if I don't get it fixed? Will the clear-coat start to peel? Can the scrape be repaired without having to do the whole wheel? <br>
<br>
Damn ...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: pulling out of a drive-through ATM

Drew, you may want to see who the local MBZ dealers uses to fix this type of ding or if they fix them any at all. I will make a few calls myself.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wheels

They can be repaired. It's just like repairing a scratch on the body. I've had it done on my 993. I flew through a large pothole (in Phila) and ended up with 2 oval, scratched wheels. After the wheels were repaired they refinished the scratched areas. If you looked closely it showed, but the dealer didn't notice when I traded that car in. <br> There is another option besides getting it repaired. I have one scraped wheel on my E55 and I think it's a rear. We could trade wheels and then you'll have a matched set :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Don't worry about it Drew, for around $100 and a couple of days, your problem will fixed.

Good.<br> <br> I've been so lucky ... nothing but 8K miles of flawless performance and luxury cruising (knock on wood)... I park my Beast way out in the North-40 in parking lots ... while on the road, I make sure to keep my distance from Volvo's and Mini-vans ... but I let my mind wonder for just a second ... damn, I'm sooooo pissed at myself.<br> <br> I know E, worse things could happen. If someone else damaged my Baby, there's nothing I likely could have done to stop it from happening, and while pissed-off, I would have been able to accept it. But when there's only me to blame, it's harder to accept.<br> <br> So, I'm gonna stop bitching now, start paying more attention to what I'm doing, and get the damn-wheel fixed.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did the same thing a few months ago. Still haven't fixed mine yet. Irks the crap out of me still!<br> <br> Still disgusted with myself that I hit the curb (while pulling out of a parking space next to a sidewalk that I thought was a wheelchair ramp)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When to get it fixed

These things bound to happen and I guess it all depends on when you plan to trade it in and how lucky/careful you are in general??<br> <br> The wheels will probably somewhat discolor in the long run and if you repair and repaint only the rear one after some years, it may not match perfectly with the front with the original finish.<br> <br> But then hey, this is totally minor don't worry about it!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts