Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1986 W126 420 SEL
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 86 420SEL alarm went off in the middle of the night. I went to check it out and nobody had messed with it. Anyone know how to prevent it from going off for no reason? I don't want to disable it. I live in a bad area full of democrats.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 240k miles
3,360 Posts
I am coming to accept that disabling the alarm is the only option. Though I haven’t really experimented with fixing mine yet.

I have people of the opposite political persuasion staying where I live. I cannot get rid of them, as it is not my house. But, I have already found my MB hood ornament twisted around. Because, you know, “pacifists”….Anyway, my Miata will stay at the warehouse. I don’t need the acupuncturist figuring out random pinholes in my soft-top lead to tiny leaks, requiring me to replace it.

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
9,394 Posts
Just curious how often do these cars get stolen? I have a stock MB cassette radio in there.
I guess that would depend on the thief. As long as you lock it, don't leave the keys in the ignition, and don't have any sign advertising the keys in the car I would think there are easier targets out there. The radio would be all but worthless without the security code

Your best bet would be to unplug the alarm under the passenger foot panel, box says "Becker" and has two plugs

Reactions: isthenew

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
917 Posts
I live in a bad area full of democrats.
I live in a small town 90 percent republican, and have just had my amber front turn signal lens stolen for the third time. :cry:

I have a stock MB cassette radio in there.
I have the same cassette player, along with Joan Baez' "Diamonds and Rust." Priceless.

·
Outstanding Contributor
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250 "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car, 350SDL (Sold)
4,485 Posts
Why would you want to live in a place like that?

The alarm won't protect you against things like steeling the hood ornament, and no one is going to steal the whole car at this point in time, unless it's concourse quality, in which case, refer to paragraph 1.

Does the alarm have a shock sensor? If so, how do you know no one touched the car?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts