Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd go to dealeship and get an o-ring kit or all the o-rings there.

Fuel pressure adjustment will be required after o-ring replacement

next time make them fuel wet or coat with engine oil before assembling.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Correct: the greater the distance the regulator is out the higher the pressure so the gasket would act minimally in the manner a ship does IF it keeps the regulator out of the dist further.
djenka018 is correct.

However- if you're just hoping to find the gasket I have a regulator out and can measure the gasket with a micrometer.

Note: the working condition of the spring is essential! On most of these cars it could stand to be replaced!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the feedback the o-ring was in fact fuel wet, and without the spring installed it went in easily.

Problem is actually knowing if the force you are feeling is being exerted by the spring or the o-ring not wanting to get in.

So if I get this right the correct procedure should be:

1- Oil the o-ring a bit.
2- Press the whole unit until it feels like the o-ring has slipped in and the thread has made contact.
3- Should be able to easily screw by hand?
4- Torque

Another question that comes to mind, how come only changing 1 o-ring will mess up the tolerances so much as to vary the system pressure if I'm not messing with the shims?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Thanks for the feedback the o-ring was in fact fuel wet, and without the spring installed it went in easily.

Problem is actually knowing if the force you are feeling is being exerted by the spring or the o-ring not wanting to get in.

So if I get this right the correct procedure should be:

1- Oil the o-ring a bit.
2- Press the whole unit until it feels like the o-ring has slipped in and the thread has made contact.
3- Should be able to easily screw by hand?
4- Torque

Another question that comes to mind, how come only changing 1 o-ring will mess up the tolerances so much as to vary the system pressure if I'm not .messing with the shims?
It shouldn't but the pressure regulator is stupid sensitive. You may want to consider replacing the whole regulator with the rebuild Bosch kit since you wanted to see the shims so badly 😉

·
Registered
54 Posts
It shouldn't but the pressure regulator is stupid sensitive. You may want to consider replacing the whole regulator with the rebuild Bosch kit since you wanted to see the shims so badly 😉
I see... well the car was having pressure problems hence why I wanted to see if someone had made something stupid at the regulator. Turns out I was the one who ended up doing something stupid haha. Go figure...

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I see... well the car was having pressure problems hence why I wanted to see if someone had made something stupid at the regulator. Turns out I was the one who ended up doing something stupid haha. Go figure...
Hehe, why not just get the rebuilt pressure regulator kit?

It looks like this:
Primary-pressure regulator, K-Jetronic

Pro-tip: don't use all of the included shims.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hehe, why not just get the rebuilt pressure regulator kit?

It looks like this:
Primary-pressure regulator, K-Jetronic

Pro-tip: don't use all of the included shims.
Yeah I should do that but I'm reluctant to do it without having the gauges myself, may be time to take it to the shop. Don't want to be fiddleing with it to much.

Using all the shims gives you more horsepowers right? hahaha.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Yeah I should do that but I'm reluctant to do it without having the gauges myself, may be time to take it to the shop. Don't want to be fiddleing with it to much.

Using all the shims gives you more horsepowers right? hahaha.
Since you're in costa rica I can't help you on the gauges.

But you might be able to make one using off the shelf parts, some high pressure rubber fuel hoses, and metric connector bits for cheaper than what you'll find online.

I don't recall what it is, but I think more shims equals less fuel. Low pressure equals rich, high pressure equals lean. :devil

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't recall what it is, but I think more shims equals less fuel. Low pressure equals rich, high pressure equals lean. :devil
Hahahah yeah I was just kidding guess the formula to high HP may actually be running it without the o-ring I screwed up :grin.

At least the formula to flooding the engine hahaha.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Question that comes to mind, how come only changing 1 o-ring will mess up the tolerances so much as to vary the system pressure if I'm not messing with the shims?
O ring has thickness and it changes over time as the rubber settles and assumes shape. If the new o ring is 0.1mm thicker or wider, it is close to two shim adjustment. It is actually a biet less and pressure could still be within tolerance... but should be checked anyway and adjusted if needed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts