2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: yarr

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
10,433 Posts
Yes, Barely....
A lot of scrambling with charter flights to get the teams into SA, after booked commercial flights were cancelled and the borders closed.
Loeb has a new ( somewhat Ugly) ride, the Toyotas have been re-worked from last year,
With more power and tuned suspension.

Should be interesting. RDC - racedezert.com has a rally raid forum, and it can be a good source in addition to the more mainstream rally specific sites.

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
2,937 Posts
Are there any UNIMOGs this year? I didnt see any, but I am a Dakar nonothing.

C.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
10,433 Posts
There are two UNIMOGs in the real Dakar,
And one in the ‘Classics’ tagalong whatever it is.
One is a U400
One is not specified.
In the Classics Dakar, it is a square cab, not sure of the model.

Attachments

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
10,433 Posts
What site did you pull these from, if I might ask ?
I have not looked for them, but might as well take a shortcut if it’s available.

·
Registered
'91 U1250 '02 U500NA
3,605 Posts
Dakar site.jpg

"LIVE" option is pretty interesting.
It shows the map and the location of competitors.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
10,433 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate it.
I always look forward to following this event,
No matter where it is.

·
Registered
1991 1250L Doka Unimog, 2002 ML320
1,318 Posts
Interesting how some teams heavily plate the lower A-arm links and others just leave them unguarded. Seams like one little hit and Bam.
Chas

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
10,433 Posts
Most high end off-road race vehicles do not run a plate on the lower A-Arms.They build incredibly strong structures and rely on thrather than a plate for strength.

Now, in the dunes, which are a good part of this Dakar, adding a shield to the lower A-arm can act as a skid plate to allow the front end to slide over the sand when bottomed out, rather than digging in, as open A-Arms would tend to do.

I saw a bunch of Dakar entries in Paris years ago, when the raid actually went to Dakar.

For the most part, the prep and fabrication was quite crude, especially compared to the state of vehicles running the Baja races at that time.

Suspensions, roll cages, instrumentation and
Lighting were all pretty amateur compared what the top teams were turning out in Southern California and Nevada at the time.

That was then, this is now, and the standards have come together. Some ‘cars’
In this and recent Dakars have been built in SoCal (Jimco, Robby Gordon), as well as some of the UTV /,side by side entries.

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found it interesting that bikes (not sure about the other vehicles) is now limited in the number of tyres they can use - 6 if I remember correctly - mentioned during the prologue coverage I saw. Apparrently to be more in the original spirit of endurance.......

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
10,433 Posts
This one has a heavy enough plate that the lower shock mounts are welded to it....
Not usually seen in the US, but there are probably some like that.
Over the years, there are probably some of
‘Everything’, no doubt.
One of the great things about Unlimited Classes.
7D9C46A0-7D39-4401-BF52-0E2637B18F7F.jpeg
7D9C46A0-7D39-4401-BF52-0E2637B18F7F.jpeg

·
Registered
1991 1250L Doka Unimog, 2002 ML320
1,318 Posts
That Praga has some serious unsprung weight. Huge independent knuckles.....I love this stuff. I have been trying for years to work as pit crew for the Baja.....getting closer every year.
Chas

1 - 20 of 38 Posts