1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
I am kinda happy Merc does not own Chrysler anymore.
I think they still own a chunk of stock. Overall just a fine example of a very bad financial transaction.

·
Registered
301 Posts
What's interesting is Chrysler blames Daimler for their bad quality and financial mess. I read an article in the New York times a few weeks ago. Execs at Chrysler say that Daimler had the cheapest lowest quality parts put on the cars and they would pass cars through quality control that were built very shody, would shimmy, rattle etc. They claim the car was better made before Daimler bought them and said because of the poor quality and cheap parts used it caused their sales and reputation to go down. I tried to see if there was a way to post the link but you had to be some member to do it and create a password etc... too much of a hassel! I did read in JD Powers review that the Mercedes E class tested for reliability from 2006 to 2008 was much improved and overall did best in class and is now a recommended buy/
So far two years and going strong they said. That is good news! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
988 Posts
You can also blame ToMoCo/Lexus.

They completely reinvented the luxury market with affordable luxury so BMW and Mercedes were in a desperate bid to lower MSRPs to compete with the affordability of Lexus.

As a result, corners were cut to bring manufacturing and assembly costs down.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts

They completely reinvented the luxury market with affordable luxury so BMW and Mercedes were in a desperate bid to lower MSRPs to compete with the affordability of Lexus.

And nothing accomplished. I'm not sure of their goals, but we now know the results were a financial wreck.

·
Registered
17 Posts

that is actually interesting to think about

·
Registered
75 Posts
that is actually interesting to think about
I think Lexus' quality is better than MB, but Prestige No. Lexus launched in Japan a couple of years ago, but they've been doing terrible. People think Lexus is nothing but a rebadged Toyota. They buy BMWs and MBs instead.

Yes, I agree. Lexus and Infiniti reinvented the luxury market. Acura is not there yet. Hyundai is trying, but their timing is bad.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Yes, what the hell were they thinking?
Their rationale for buying Chrysler, to my way of thinking, was that Chrysler was the least expensive of the 3 American automakers. And my guess is they thought that would enhance their market presence in the United States because we used to be the largest market for luxury automoblies in the world. I don't know who is now, but there are several countries in the running.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts