Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received letter today from MB Canada.

Says Daimler knows that soot particulate sensor may fail, cause check engine light which will then prevent system from monitoring for other failures.

They are not offering a recall. Just extending warranty on sensor to 10 years (Emission parts are usually 8years anyway)

Seems to me they should have a recall if they know the sensors are faulty.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hello MBGraham,

I received the same letter yesterday. My opinion is that not due to a potential sensor failure as much as they claimed but may be to protect themselfs of legal pursuit due to the diesel gate. I might be wrong...just an opinion...

Unless it changed, recalls (done by Canada gov.) are only for security purposes that could be a threat to the driver or others such fire due to faulty electrical plug, etc.

Unclebenz

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think that issues concerning malfunction of emission system should also require a mandatory recall. Maybe by a different government agency.

MB say this is a voluntary recall (IOW, they don't have to do it).

When I received the letter, I hoped it might be to announce a buy back of the GLK like my neighbour got from VW :)

·
Registered
526 Posts
...I hoped it might be to announce a buy back of the GLK like my neighbour got from VW :)
Buy back? Not sure that it will come. They reassured me (directly from MB of Canada) that they meet and exceed gov regulations for diesel. Up to now, as much as I understand, no country have done a legal pursuit against them. What do believe on your side?

Personally, I am very satisfied of my GLK 250. On highways it can go down as low as 5.6L/100 km. This is very good for the weight with the 4Matic!

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Buy back? Not sure that it will come. They reassured me (directly from MB of Canada) that they meet and exceed gov regulations for diesel. Up to now, as much as I understand, no country have done a legal pursuit against them. What do believe on your side?

Personally, I am very satisfied of my GLK 250. On highways it can go down as low as 5.6L/100 km. This is very good for the weight with the 4Matic!
The emission control system on Bluetec diesels including the GLK250 is turned off when temperatures drop below 10C. They only met emission standards at higher temperatures.

Problem was first discovered in Holland, Actions being taken against Daimler in several jurisdictions including Class Actions in USA and Canada.
https://kmlaw.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/160554_longformnotice_final.pdf

https://global.handelsblatt.com/companies/getting-closer-truth-daimlers-diesels-891053

In Europe there has been a wide recall of many models with same engine:

https://www.daimler.com/innovation/diesel/recall-faq.html

https://www.daimler.com/dokumente/innovation/sonstiges/overview-diesel-recall-published-by-daimler.pdf

(above pdf includes GLK250 albeit with a Euro emission system)

Just a matter of time, I would think, until we see something similar here. Although EPA in USA seems a bit dysfunctional at present!

We have had our GLK250 for almost 5 years (bought New). We like it in many ways, others not so much. It has averaged about 7.2L/100km with mostly highway driving at not much above speed limit. I have never seem mileage below 6.1. We had a problem with the transmission and they installed a new one.

If they wanted to recall my car at market value (like VW did), I would not be unhappy. It's done less than 50k km. These new diesels are not like the old ones (I have one of those too!)

·
Registered
526 Posts
...We have had our GLK250 for almost 5 years (bought New). We like it in many ways, others not so much. It has averaged about 7.2L/100km with mostly highway driving at not much above speed limit. I have never seem mileage below 6.1. We had a problem with the transmission and they installed a new one.

If they wanted to recall my car at market value (like VW did), I would not be unhappy. It's done less than 50k km. These new diesels are not like the old ones (I have one of those too!)
Hi MBGraham, oh! Thanks for your links. I will keep an eye on this. Concerning your GLK, I cab tell you that your story is almost a copy-paste of ours. I ordered my GLK because the colour we choose was a new for the GLK: Brown Dolomite. It took 2 months to received it. We have it since Sept 27th 2013 (its a 2014). We had a noise in the transmission between 50-68km/h. They changed the trans for a new one in crate when we had approx 8,000 km.

Concerning the mileage, on the highway, last year between Montreal and Quebec, after a good one hour of driving, mine is going down to 5.6 a 5.8 L/100.

But before they changed the trans, I wheat down to 5.1 to 5.3 L/100 km. I never been able to repeat this performance of 5.1-5.3 even with the original trans...

But! 5.6 to 5.8 is pretty good! This weeken I am going back to Quebec to celebrate the birthday of my daughter. I will check if my GLK can do again 5.6 - 5.8

I included a picture of the 5.1 before they change the trans.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I haven't noticed any issues on my 2014 GLK BlueTec but also got same letter with extended warranty last week. No work to be done unless sensor goes off. Shame, I was just @service getting new tires a few days before.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One thing I am not clear about, is the warranty on the emission system. In one place it says just 2 years except for certain components. In another it says 8 years. Does anyone know exactly what is covered here in Canada? I have asked MBCanada but still waiting for response.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I spoke/texted with two people from MBCanada and didn't get an answer on what emission items are covered by the warranty. However, Google found this site (see warranty guide) with the following information, that may even be in our glove box:

Mercedes-Benz Emission Related Components MY 2014 -
BlueTEC Diesel Engine with Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)1
I. Air Induction System
Air Cleaner Housing
Intake Port Shutoff
Electric Intake Air Throttle (with Throttle Valve Step)
Charge Air Cooler
Turbocharger
Charge Air Distribution Line
II. Fuel Metering System
Fuel Rail
Fuel Injector
Fuel Filter
High Pressure Pump
Fuel Pump (Electric)
Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor
Fuel Pressure Regulator
III. Ignition System
Glow Plug
Glow Time Control Module
IV. Exhaust Gas Recircltn Sys.
EGR Valve
EGR Cooler
EGR Line
V. Positive Crankcase Ventilation
Crankcase Ventilation Valve/Line
Oil Filler Cap
VI. Fuel Evaporative Control
Fuel Filler Neck (without Expansion Tank)
Fuel Tank (with Integrated Vent Valve and Fill Neck)
Fuel Tank Vent Valve
VII. Exhaust / Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) System
Exhaust Manifold
DEF Delivery Pump (with Pressure Sensor)
DEF Injection Valve
DEF Tank (with Temperature Sensor and Fluid Level
Gauge)
Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (and/or Diesel Particulate
Filter*)
Selective Catalytic Reduction Catalyst*
DEF Line
VIII. Eng. Emiss. Control Sys. Sens.
Engine Control Module *
Transmission Control Module
02 Sensors
Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
Charge Air Pressure Sensor
Manifold Air Pressure Sensor
Crankshaft Position Sensor
Camshaft Position Sensor
Front Vehicle Speed Sensor
Rear Vehicle Speed Sensor
Charge Air Temperature Sensor
Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor
Exhaust Differential Pressure Sensor
Heated Cooling Water Thermostat
Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor
Mass Airflow Sensor (with Integrated Intake Air
Temperature Sensor)
DEF Control Module
Fuel Temperature Sensor
NOx Sensor
Particulate Matter Sensor
IX. On-Board Diagnostics
Instrument Cluster *

1 - If applicable to this model.

* These items are warranted for 8 years/130,000
km (whichever comes first); all other parts are
warranted for 2 years / 40,000 km (whichever
comes first).
So basically, most of the emission system is not even covered by the standard 4yr warranty nor the extended warranty that I paid for.

Considering the complexity of the Bluetec emission system and the fact that it does not even work in a good part of the temperatures we experience, it bothers me that our car no longer has any warranty of some very expensive parts.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Received letter today from MB Canada.

Says Daimler knows that soot particulate sensor may fail, cause check engine light which will then prevent system from monitoring for other failures.

They are not offering a recall. Just extending warranty on sensor to 10 years (Emission parts are usually 8years anyway)

Seems to me they should have a recall if they know the sensors are faulty.
I was wrong - many items not covered. The soot sensor must be the particulate sensor that was previously not covered.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some of info upthread I posted was not accurate.

In Canada, the new car warranty on emissions is 4 yrs, not 2 as stated in warranty booklet.

Extended Limited Warranty cover certain Adblue items. Hiwever, sensors may or may not be covered. Dealer says they are, MB say no, unless dealer gets agreement from Warranty department? No way for owner to know exactly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello , I had a check engine light on and they changed a soot sensor on warranty .... My warranty goes out next week ..I bought the '15 GLK 250 bluetec used am I have been to the dealer 2 times in 1 month ...I'm hoping this is not a sign of things to come .

Vince

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
vinglk
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing