Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 town car and a 76 buick electra
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is MB owned by Daimler? Or is Daimler just a partner of MB? Is Chrysler owned by Daimler? I know some of the transmissions have made their way down to some of the Dodge and Chrysler cars.

·
Registered
2002 E320W4
242 Posts
MB is the automotive part of Daimler. Daimler, along with Benz were the founders of Daim...

MB is the automotive part of Daimler. Daimler, along with Benz were the founders of DaimlerBenz. Daimler also owns Airbus, Smart cars, a part of Mitsubishi, and various suppliers and companies. they also hold a major stake in the Duetsch bank in Germany. if you ever get a chance, there are a few great books on the whole merger of Daimler and Chrysler. i can't recall the name of one i read not too long ago.
the name Mercedes came from one of their daughters or neices. Daimler and Chrysler merged, but Daimler took over control. its kinda funny how both companies were doing very well and once they merged, there has been a running loss in profit.
there are no shared compenents right now between the two companies, except the new Chrysler Crossfire is a rebodied SLK. the SLK will be replaced next year. the new Chrysler Pacifica, 300N and Dodge Intrepid will share pieces of the old w210( 1996-2002 e-class). MB has such well engineered cars, it makes sense to me. also, Chrysler owned Freightliner LLC and now the Mercedes trucks are being rebadged as Freightliner.
Mercedes transmissions however see service in Jaguars, Porsches and various other european companies. they are so well-built, it is worth it for another company to purchase a major component than to spend money on development, engineering and production of their own piece.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Have Mercy...

The cars were named after Mercedes (Mercy) Jellinek, daughter of Emil Jellinek, an early investor and advocate of the new Daimler automobile company ca. 1900.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts