Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would I Remove and Replace the exterior D-Pillar Trim without breaking them? What glue does Mercedes use? Does anyone have good luck with non-OEM glue?

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,811 Posts
Check out this link :

Ml55 - Those plastic trim panels above the rear lights

Plenty of information regarding this process.....

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,811 Posts
Getting the factory glue off those panels is quite a project. Hacksaw blades worked for me.

You will see this panels listed on ebay from time to time....obviously you will need to replace the driver side,
but I would not mess with the right side....Maybe just some polishing.....

·
W163 and General Mercedes Host
3,269 Posts
springer,
no link attached to your post #2

lee,
one of my bookmarks.
more info you can read thru to find your answer.

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
springer,
no link attached to your post #2

lee,
one of my bookmarks.
more info you can read thru to find your answer.
What about removing? Because I do have the one that fell off while I was driving one day, I don't want to buy one when The Cadaver has two good ones. Hence why I want to remove it without breaking.

·
W163 and General Mercedes Host
3,269 Posts
What about removing? Because I do have the one that fell off while I was driving one day, I don't want to buy one when The Cadaver has two good ones. Hence why I want to remove it without breaking.

The glue on the pillar?
I recall reading a thread where one of the members used a wire to cut thru to remove the cover. No mention of how the excess was removed. I suppose in your case, as similar procedure? Hot wire?
A grinder, done carefully, to remove the excess?

EDIT:
Glue option:

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The glue on the pillar?
I recall reading a thread where one of the members used a wire to cut thru to remove the cover. No mention of how the excess was removed. I suppose in your case, as similar procedure? Hot wire?
A grinder, done carefully, to remove the excess?

EDIT:
Glue option:
The whole pillar trim, The Cadaver had both sides intact, so I'd like to remove the trim from The Cadaver and put it on my ML. So I'd need to remove the trim without breaking it in half.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,777 Posts
As Witek said wire saw there is one made to cut sprinklers pipe in a ditch.
Home Depot should have one.

Harbor frieght had one for windshield sealant that came with 2 tee handles and a very good length of cable so as to reload it many times.

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys for the help, as usual. I'll have to get to that when I get home, out of town right now, hence the surge of questions while I'm not working on it.

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,811 Posts
leeadrian75.......this ain't rocket science. Anything you do will be an improvement to the driver side. Your biggest problem is removing the old thick adhesive. Believe me, when M/B put these suckers on, they never anticipated needing to replace it. The only reason to possibly replace panel is if it is cracked. And if it is cracked I would try some filler (like Bondo) to fill it, sand it and then repaint. The LAST resort is to remove it and replace. I know from first hand experience. It is very frustrating for a cosmetic repair.

These W163 are close to twenty years old and at this stage....we can just do the best we can. Creativity is a great trait to have when addressing some of these cosmetic issues. Anything will be an improvement, right ?

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
leeadrian75.......this ain't rocket science. Anything you do will be an improvement to the driver side. Your biggest problem is removing the old thick adhesive. Believe me, when M/B put these suckers on, they never anticipated needing to replace it. The only reason to possibly replace panel is if it is cracked. And if it is cracked I would try some filler (like Bondo) to fill it, sand it and then repaint. The LAST resort is to remove it and replace. I know from first hand experience. It is very frustrating for a cosmetic repair.

These W163 are close to twenty years old and at this stage....we can just do the best we can. Creativity is a great trait to have when addressing some of these cosmetic issues. Anything will be an improvement, right ?
I agree completely, anything will be an improvement for the driver's side. I'm sure people think ill things about me as I drive past with my falling apart Mercedes. I'm just trying to get it looking as decent as I can. I'm not planning on messing with the passenger side, I just attached the picture for reference as to what I was talking about. One day the driver's side trim fell off while I was driving and I didn't even know it, hence why I wanted to know if there was a better glue than what Mercedes used.

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,811 Posts
And just being truthful....do you really give a shit about what people think about you as you drive by with your falling apart Mercedes ? Most are probably facing a huge monthly payment while yours is TOTALLY paid off..... sounds like you are way ahead of the game....

·
Premium Member
Current (2002 ml320, 2002 ml500, 2005 ml500 sport 2006 bmw 525xi)
24 Posts
I used a 3M product in a caulking gun size. I'll see if I kept the unused portion, and snap a pic tonight. My suggestion is to keep Acetone away from the finished side- seems to melt the plastic. Mask off the area, grind down (sand with 80 grit) the existing blobs of adhesive about 1/4 inch if these are solidly attached to the pillar. Use these as your base (matching the height with side glass panel and rear gate glass) and re-attach the panel with the 3M adhesive. Let dry. Then sand by hand 400 wet, 600, 800, 1,200 (all wet) and sand like you are going to paint or refinish a headlight. Do this to both sides. Then take a buffer, and some wax/cleaner to buff these to a shine. They won't have the clearcoat shine, but they are very acceptable. Plan about 45 min each side,

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,221 Posts
That is what they have at most Orielly stores or even Amazon. It is fantastic stuff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts