Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CD manual gives the firing order but I can't find the cylinder numbering scheme anywhere.

·
Registered
1980 450SL & 1988 560SL
1,667 Posts
I think it is 1-2-3-4 front to back on US drivers side and 5-6-7-8 front to back on the other side.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
dugald said:
My CD manual gives the firing order but I can't find the cylinder numbering scheme anywhere.
Try looking in the engine manual, section 01-015 (checking the cylinders for leaks).
It looks to me like, front to back, 1234 on right (pass) and 5678 on left (driver).

·
Registered
1980 450SL & 1988 560SL
1,667 Posts
I stand corrected. I was just going off my faulty memory. :bowdown:

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,884 Posts
Nascar Fan said:
I think it is 1-2-3-4 front to back on US drivers side and 5-6-7-8 front to back on the other side.
Does it mean that in Europe drivers and cylinder numbering start differently? ;)

====================================================================

If looking at the engine from the front of your original or bullbar front bumper but standing between original or US spec lights... I think cylindre closest to the alternator is No1 with 2, 3 and 4 following just behind and closest cylindre to the power steering contraption is No5 with 6, 7 and 8 following behind respectively.

And who cares where the driver and passengers are... and in what country.

:eek: Do you need help with finding alternator and power steering pump?:eek:

==============================================================

Edited (break in text) to clear up confusion

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Djenka018 said:
Does it mean that in Europe drivers and cylinder numbering start differently? ;)

If looking at the engine from the front of your original or bullbar front bumper but standing between original or US spec lights... I think cylindre closest to the alternator is No1 with 2, 3 and 4 following just behind and closest cylindre to the power steering contraption is No5 with 6, 7 and 8 following behind respectively.

And who cares where the driver and passengers are... and in what country.

:eek: Do you need help with finding alternator and power steering pump?:eek:
I only put drivers and passengers info in there for reference, (US spec.). Right and left are always, (to me) from the drivers perpective. No matter which side the driver is on. I think I can locate those components, but your offer is appreciated.:rolleyes:

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
BenzToy said:
I only put drivers and passengers info in there for reference, (US spec.). Right and left are always, (to me) from the drivers perpective. No matter which side the driver is on. I think I can locate those components, but your offer is appreciated.:rolleyes:

Spent many a year in the diesel power product industry..... everything and anything is possible when configuring machinery etc. General rule of thumb....rotation from the front, location from the rear. Works for autos too. Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts