Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help me with a part no. for the cylinder head gasket indicated below?
I don’t seem to find it on any of the dealers here.
They just want to sell me the whole cylinder head cover for a leaking gasket.

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
@43sqd
left side, same as your photo.

@noodles
the left cylinder head cover is made of two pieces: the big one which has a gasket already shown below (no.17) and the small one (with the oil filler cap).
I am looking for the gasket under the small cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Remove valve cover, place it inverted in shallow pan full of carburetor cleaner for about an hour. Remove remaining sealant using old tooth brush or any soft bristle brush. Valve cover is made from magnesium/aluminum alloy covered with pure aluminum. Once outer layer is scratched magnesium will corrode in a matter of days.

Part numbers for left and right valve covers ware changed.
I have no idea if it was change of manufacturer or change in metal composition.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Thanks for the tip Witek. I guess 2 gallons of carburetor cleaner will be necessary. That should also help to clean the gunk from that chamber which is my goal.

What if head of that long bolts (#14) on top of ventilation chamber is broken? Will the valve cover slide up and out, or the that bolt needs to be removed?

·
Purple Moderator
21,710 Posts
If the head of the bolt is completely gone and all that is left is the shaft of the bolt the
cover will come off.
At that point it will much easier to extract the damaged bolt. Needles to say you will need a new bolt to get a good seal with the gasket.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts