Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
416 DoKa w Hiab Crane and PTO Winch, 2005 G55K
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good source for one of these? I have a mid-70's 416 Doka with a Hiab crane and a 3 way bed - no cylinder. I live in NW New Mexico (La Plata) - where do you ABQ guys go for parts and service?

Thanks,
Russell Hill
La Plata, NM

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - I saw the one on ebay, that's what prompted me to consider the project -thought I'd check into other sources before bidding. The one in Finland does look correct too, I'd looked at that listing but didn't recognize it in it's "retracted" position. Does anyone know if all the tipper cylinders are the same?

·
Registered
UNIMOG, Gelaendewagen
935 Posts
Tuckersnocat, I have one set aside for my 1550. It came out of a 406, they should all be close enough to make work with any UNIMOG. Maybe a little fabrication needed for mounts, but the cylinder it's self should be fairly universal. The one on Ebay is, at the moment, a great price! As far as service, I have not pulled mine out of storage yet and am not sure if it will need service or not. I'll have to look into that soon. For lines and fittings, there are several great shops here in Burque, if you need info on one let me know, though I bet there are a ton of hydraulic shop in and around Farmington with all the gas drillers up there. Are you keeping your crane? I'd love to find one close by some time. Also, Rob Pickering is a good source for UNIMOG odds and ends, he is fairly close by in La Junta. You can find his info on the RMM links page. -James

·
Registered
4Sale: 230G, U1200 Ag, 1017A, lots of MB cars, Volvo c303, 416 raildoka, LR D110 TDi
1,217 Posts
Hi Russell,

I don't really have any help as far as the cylinder other that the info that was already given, but how is the ole DoKa doing? I always liked that truck, the crane was handy to move stuff around here in the yard while I had it.

Cheers,
Ben

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The DoKa is doing well Ben, a very handy vehicle! I'll try to attach a picture of it carrying a huge keg (OK it's a barrel sauna) up to our cabin at 11,000 ft in the La Plata Mtns in 16" of snow.

The crane is very handy, I'll have to keep it James. Thanks for the advice. There are lots of mechanical and hydraulic services up here in the oil patch but nobody with much specific Unimog experience - the local Freightliner dealer doesn't deal with them. I did ask at the ABQ Mercedes dealership (we have a 2005 G55K also), they laughed - "we don't have a lift big enough".

Thanks Again,
Russell

Attachments

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,433 Posts
OK - those are the "sweet pictures of the month " !!!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
UNIMOG, Gelaendewagen
935 Posts
Russell, are you just looking to have a cylinder serviced, or are there other services you are looking for with the 416? Parts are available for those rams from any on the UNIMOG parts guys, and I'm sure any competent hydraulic shop could to the work if they had the seals in hand. As far as service for the mog it's self, yeah the local MB stealer here in Abq is worthless with anything they didn't sell. I take my G500 to a great indie in Santa Fe, and I'm sure they'd love to work on your mog, if that what you are after. -James

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I don't need any specific service right now - just want to get a few names if something more Mog-specific comes up that I can't handle locally or myself. What's the name of the shop in Sante Fe? Our warranty for the G will be up this summer and we won't be going there (ABQ dealer) after that. - Russell

·
Registered
'88 U-1300L, '70 406, '78 406, '78 416 project, '82 406, '57 404, '65 404, '70 404, '68 Haflinger.
1,849 Posts
We run some moonshine around here, too, but we try not to be so obvious!

Bob

"If I live in Tennessee and stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night, do I break even?"

OK - those are the "sweet pictures of the month " !!!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Russell, good to hear from another NM Mogger. I was up in your neighborhood a few weeks ago in my Mog. I will detour and stop to say hello next time I am headed to Durango.
One option for Mog work is a diesel Mech. in Durango/Hesperus, his last name is Riegel (Regel Works Mobile Service) I beleive. I know nothing of his work other than he has owned several Mogs.

·
Registered
UNIMOG, Gelaendewagen
935 Posts
I don't need any specific service right now - just want to get a few names if something more Mog-specific comes up that I can't handle locally or myself. What's the name of the shop in Sante Fe? Our warranty for the G will be up this summer and we won't be going there (ABQ dealer) after that. - Russell

Russell, my indie in Santa Fe is Executive Automotive 505-474-7500. There are a few of the old Europa dudes working there, they know the G's real well. They deal with all cars European, and even motorcycles. I bet they'd be into working on the mog. If you need any hands on help, myself and Brad (needamog) are here in Abq and always willing to help a fellow mogger out. Come on down some time. -James

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL, no "revenuer's" up in my mountains so we pretty much do what we please - and once the snow starts accumulating we do NEED to stock up for the winter.

Seriously I did talk to a forest service guy once who said that they tried to stay out of the area because the "old-timers" were suspicious of any government agencies....

I work in Durango (Animas Surgical Hospital) but live 50 yds South of the NM/CO state line in La Plata, NM. Let me know if you're in my area and I'll do the same if I'm heading South. Appreciate all the information!

One more picture of the keg later in the winter....

Russell Hill
505-927-8658

1 - 17 of 17 Posts