Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
E320 1997 I6
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, :)

I have a problem with my car.I hope I'd get any solution for it .. I feel bad whenever I drive my car ( E320 Model 1997 ) :S

The car shakes a lot and vibrates... this happens when its not moving Idle, parking.. etc.. I went to a mechanical and he checked it with computer. The cylinder 5 was not working, so we changed the Coil No.2
but still there is a roughness and vibration...

That also effects the Acceleration of the car...and if i turn it off..and Start the engine again, there will be no Shake/Vibrate until I drive a bit..and park/stop then the shaking comes back.. :(

I've searched in the forum .. and I known that this problem happens from Coils or spark plugs or Something Ignition .

What I did is :
1) Changed Coil No.2 ... ( Problem Not Fixed )
2) Changed the Spark Plugs ... ( Problem Not Fixed )

Can someone tell me where is the Coil no.2 ? im that afraid the mechanical didn't changed the correct coil .. hmm some of my friends told me since I imported the car from Japan .. and its not been used for a while then it might has a dirty exhaust valve.

I don't have any experiences with cars... so I really need your help guys :surrender:.

Sorry if it is a silly question and for my bad English.
Regards.

--

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
#2 coil pack is the second one back on the left but with these engines it is usually the ignition cables mounted on the coil pack (two per pack) that fail.

·
Registered
2001 E240
506 Posts
#2 coil pack is the second one back on the left but with these engines it is usually the ignition cables mounted on the coil pack (two per pack) that fail.

Hey Eric since when did you move to Shanghai? I will be attending 2010 AUTOMECHANIKA this week in Shanghai.

·
Registered
E320 1997 I6
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I've changed the wires which it is connected to the coil when I bought the car ( 2 Months ago ) ... they're like this :

Maybe they're damaged cause of the old bad Spark Plugs ? so I've to change them again now ?

·
52,804 Posts
Hey Eric since when did you move to Shanghai? I will be attending 2010 AUTOMECHANIKA this week in Shanghai.
I live and work near the Expo, call me 13623717224:thumbsup:

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
>>The cylinder 5 was not working, so we changed the Coil No.2
>>I imported the car from Japan ..

Did the Japanese copy/modify the Mercedes engine then re-label the coil/cylinder? I can't understand how cylinder#5 relates to coil#2 unless the cylinder# starts from 1 and the coil# starts from 0.

·
52,804 Posts
>>The cylinder 5 was not working, so we changed the Coil No.2
>>I imported the car from Japan ..

Did the Japanese copy/modify the Mercedes engine then re-label the coil/cylinder? I can't understand how cylinder#5 relates to coil#2 unless the cylinder# starts from 1 and the coil# starts from 0.
As he suspected the mechanic changed the wrong coil pack.

·
Registered
E320 1997 I6
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As he suspected the mechanic changed the wrong coil pack.
Well, the car has 3 coils.. as I know each coils got 2 Cylinders..
Coil 1 : Cylinder 1 and 6
Coil 2 : Cylinder 2 and 5
Coil 3 : Cylinder 3 and 4

thats what the Mechanical told me..... When he checked the car he found the Cylinder 5 is not working ( Damaged )
What I've to do ? ( Forget everything I did ) just give me points of the ALL possible fixes of this problem..which If i do them all . the car must be fixed.
-
How many Kilo Meter should my car run if its Full tank ? 350KM ? someone told me 550KM .. so my Fuel tank is leaking.. ? hmm ?:surrender:

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,732 Posts
With one cylinder being dead load don't expect long range on the tank. I am not even sure your computer shuts the fuel off to dead cylinder.
Did you do compression test? Dead cylinder might be created by dead fuel injector as well.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
I think the mechanic got a grip on your wallet.
1. Coil#1, coil#2 could have been easily swapped to rule out the possibility of a bad coil.
2. Buy a code reader to see the actual code for yourself.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
many Kilo Meter should my car run if its Full tank ? 350KM ? someone told me 550KM .. so my Fuel tank is leaking...
If your car is like mine with a 20 US gallon fuel tank and using a conservative 20 MPG, that is 400 miles. 1.6 times 400 is 640 km per tank. If you are using Imperial gallons the calculation would be different.

If as Kajtek1 postulated, your #5 injector could be putting gasoline into #5 cylinder and it is not being burned. That would certainly explain poor mileage. Please tell us what yours is. Ditto to a compression test, that might tell you something.

If your fuel tank was leaking you should be smelling gasoline. Are you?

·
52,804 Posts
Well, the car has 3 coils.. as I know each coils got 2 Cylinders..
Coil 1 : Cylinder 1 and 6
Coil 2 : Cylinder 2 and 5
Coil 3 : Cylinder 3 and 4

thats what the Mechanical told me..... When he checked the car he found the Cylinder 5 is not working ( Damaged )
What I've to do ? ( Forget everything I did ) just give me points of the ALL possible fixes of this problem..which If i do them all . the car must be fixed.
-
How many Kilo Meter should my car run if its Full tank ? 350KM ? someone told me 550KM .. so my Fuel tank is leaking.. ? hmm ?:surrender:
Oppps, this must be the 104 engine. So the next thing to look at is the fuel injectors ie missfire on 5 and poor fuel consumption = potential leaking injector/s.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts