Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2010 R350
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When on vacation, I had to take mt R350 into the Mercedes dealer in Fort Myers and they reported that the front boot was torn and the axle needed to be replaced at a cost of $3000 Cdn. When I got home I looked at it and there was grease on the wheel and boot so I got a rebuilt axle shaft and had it replaced at the local garage. When I got the old shaft back, I looked for the tear and could not find one. I then cleaned the boot with brake cleaner and there is no hole in that boot. Since there is no grease points on the car, how did that big wad of grease get on the boot? I think someone put it there and the dealer in Florida is the only one who has worked on the car. I can not prove anything, but I am so disappointed to think a Mercedes dealer would do something like that.

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
1,694 Posts
Sorry to hear. I wouldn’t say that’s the norm, and I have to say if I’m a crook I’m going to cut the boot and rip it while at it. At 10 years probably 120K miles, I wouldn’t guess the replacement was wasted anyway.

·
Registered
E63AMG, SLK32AMG, Ferrari 348 Spider, R350 Bluetec, Eagle Talon TSI/AWD, Jeep CJ7, Smart EV
325 Posts
Are you honestly surprised a Mercedes dealer would lie and try to con you? Oh the stories I could tell.

Often though the dealership is just inept. Incompetent without malice. Sometimes malice is part of it but usually just incompetence: some apprentice making $20/hour working on your car.

Glad to learn that you found a rebuilt axle shaft. I too have had my fronts replaced (2 times now) and always buy aftermarket. $300 for the part and 1.5 hour from a good mechanic. It's an easy fix for a mechanic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts