Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
Here's a good one for you. When I bought my S420 it only came with one key, so I'm really interested in getting a spare. Hopefully I'd like to get the complete set made with two IR remotes, and the two flat keys as well.

I have found plenty of people on ebay that sell the blank keys at a reasonable price, but I have yet to find someone who can actually cut the keys. I have called at least 10 places here in Richmond, VA and I have yet to find one that can cut them. The dealer can order them, but they are big $$$ and I think this is the ONE area of W140 ownership where I can cut a corner or two. Does anyone know of a shop within 100 miles of Richmond that can do the job? Thanks!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Personally I've never considered getting a key made from anywhere other than the dealer
if I ever did need one made, but I do take some comfort in knowing that you can't go just anywhere and have one of these keys made!

·
Registered
895 Posts
I belive the cheapest solution to be the aftermarket IR-installation-kit..
You hook it up to the original central-locking, and use the new remotes for the locking/unlocking.
I don't know how difficult that is to do though..
I know the original key is the best solution, but I recommend checking that the IR-recievers in the doors and trunk works first.. They cost the same, or more than the key..

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
I belive the cheapest solution to be the aftermarket IR-installation-kit..
You hook it up to the original central-locking, and use the new remotes for the locking/unlocking.
I don't know how difficult that is to do though..
I know the original key is the best solution, but I recommend checking that the IR-recievers in the doors and trunk works first.. They cost the same, or more than the key..
You know what would be cool? Wire up the system to a pager or a cell phone and have it on the speed-dial to unlock the car, or use bluetooth.

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
I don't believe any old key blank will start the car. With the DAS (Drive Authorization System) set up on the W140, the keys (remote and non-remote) have an RF ID transponder embedded in the key head. The DAS control module "talks" to the key before allowing the key to start the car. If the codes aren't right, then no starty. This means that the dealer is the only game in town for new keys. They have to use your VIN to order keys with the proper RF ID tags in them.

From alldatadiy for my 1997 S600:

Transponder

Purpose
Transferring content of data block to DAS infrared control module. Storing data transmitted from DAS infrared control module.

Design
The transponder consists of an electronic chip and a coil.

Function
After switching on the ignition, the transponder is supplied with power by the DAS infrared control module via the coil on the steering wheel lock. The DAS infrared control module transfers a password and the number of the data block to be read out to the transponder. The latter transfers the contents of the data block to the control module. If valid the engine control is released. Then the contents of the data block is written over.

In IR remote control key and in mechanical key.

Brett

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
I don't believe any old key blank will start the car. With the DAS (Drive Authorization System) set up on the W140, the keys (remote and non-remote) have an RF ID transponder embedded in the key head. The DAS control module "talks" to the key before allowing the key to start the car. If the codes aren't right, then no starty. This means that the dealer is the only game in town for new keys. They have to use your VIN to order keys with the proper RF ID tags in them.

From alldatadiy for my 1997 S600:

Transponder

Purpose
Transferring content of data block to DAS infrared control module. Storing data transmitted from DAS infrared control module.

Design
The transponder consists of an electronic chip and a coil.

Function
After switching on the ignition, the transponder is supplied with power by the DAS infrared control module via the coil on the steering wheel lock. The DAS infrared control module transfers a password and the number of the data block to be read out to the transponder. The latter transfers the contents of the data block to the control module. If valid the engine control is released. Then the contents of the data block is written over.

In IR remote control key and in mechanical key.

Brett
Based on that it over-writes the data does that mean there is a different code for the key each time it's used? Thats pretty advanced for a car from the 1990's.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DAS is actually based on a simple RFID transponder along with the high security type key. Its a two factor system since you have to have the key plus the correct RFID code to enable the ignition/starter. It is pretty effective at preventing someone from hot-wiring the car.

It was very advanced for its day (hey, its a S Class!). However, its fairly easy to "introduce" the car to a key with a different transponder. It's just a pain to get the physical key cut. I know, this is actually a good thing, but I'm not ready to shell over $200 for a new key.:mad:

·
Registered
895 Posts
hmm.. I only have one working key. With IR, the other IR-key seems to be dead.. And, I have no other keys at all.. No slim-key, emergency-key etc..
This should in fact mean that my car shouldnt start with the no-working IR-key..
hmmm, will have to test that..

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Erik, here's the procedure to reprogram the key:

Key synchronization Procedures

SL Models
90-95 see note 1
96 see note 3
97 see note 2
98-99 see note 4

S-Class Models
92-95 see note 1
96 see note 3
97 see note 2
98-99 see note 4

C-Class, CLK, E-Class
96 See note 3
97 See note 2
98 –99 see note 7

SLK

See note 4

M-Class

Early 98 Models up to A010609
With original AAM and keys see note 5

Later models 98-99 after A010609 see note 6

Note: All M-Class keys require the HHT for Initial Installation

Note 1: Aim transmitter at a receiver and briefly press any transmit button. Within 30 seconds, lock or unlock car at a door or trunk with the new master key.

Note 2: Aim transmitter at a receiver and briefly press the transmit button twice. Within 30 seconds, insert new key in steering lock and turn to position 2.

Note 3: Aim transmitter at inside rear view mirror receiver and briefly press transmit button twice. Within 30 seconds, insert key in the steering lock and turn to position 2.

Note 4: Aim transmitter at vehicle and briefly press the lock or unlock transmit button twice. Within 30 seconds, insert key in steering lock and turn to position 2.

Note 5: Turn key in steering lock to position 2, then to position 0 and remove. Within 60 seconds, push and hold the lock button for 15 seconds, now push unlock button 5 times. Then check all functions.

Note 6: turn key in steering lock to position 2, then to position 0 and remove. Within 60 seconds, press the lock and tailgate buttons simultaneously for 15 seconds.

Note 7: For Smart key equipped vehicles, simply insert key in the ignition switch and follow info in the cluster display

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
DAS is actually based on a simple RFID transponder along with the high security type key. Its a two factor system since you have to have the key plus the correct RFID code to enable the ignition/starter. It is pretty effective at preventing someone from hot-wiring the car.

It was very advanced for its day (hey, its a S Class!). However, its fairly easy to "introduce" the car to a key with a different transponder. It's just a pain to get the physical key cut. I know, this is actually a good thing, but I'm not ready to shell over $200 for a new key.:mad:
So are you proposing to simply hold your "good" key up to the ignition switch so the RF ID tag is read while you actually have the "blank" key in the ignition? Too much trouble for me. :)

I had a non-IR spare key made by the dealer. It was $35. An IR transmitter key was $135. That was about three years ago. I'm sure it's gone up some since then.

Brett

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
hmm.. I only have one working key. With IR, the other IR-key seems to be dead.. And, I have no other keys at all.. No slim-key, emergency-key etc..
This should in fact mean that my car shouldnt start with the no-working IR-key..
hmmm, will have to test that..
No, it should still start just fine. The RF ID transponder is a passive device. It doesn't require battery power to work or store the code. It "powers up" via induction from the coil around the ignition switch when the key is turned in the ignition. The transponder then transmits the code.

Brett

·
Registered
2 Posts
Key Synchronization Procedures for w220 - '03 S500

Thanks for this information! Do you have the synch procedures for a 2003 S500

Appreciate it.

Erik, here's the procedure to reprogram the key:

Key synchronization Procedures

SL Models
90-95 see note 1
96 see note 3
97 see note 2
98-99 see note 4

S-Class Models
92-95 see note 1
96 see note 3
97 see note 2
98-99 see note 4

C-Class, CLK, E-Class
96 See note 3
97 See note 2
98 –99 see note 7

SLK

See note 4

M-Class

Early 98 Models up to A010609
With original AAM and keys see note 5

Later models 98-99 after A010609 see note 6

Note: All M-Class keys require the HHT for Initial Installation

Note 1: Aim transmitter at a receiver and briefly press any transmit button. Within 30 seconds, lock or unlock car at a door or trunk with the new master key.

Note 2: Aim transmitter at a receiver and briefly press the transmit button twice. Within 30 seconds, insert new key in steering lock and turn to position 2.

Note 3: Aim transmitter at inside rear view mirror receiver and briefly press transmit button twice. Within 30 seconds, insert key in the steering lock and turn to position 2.

Note 4: Aim transmitter at vehicle and briefly press the lock or unlock transmit button twice. Within 30 seconds, insert key in steering lock and turn to position 2.

Note 5: Turn key in steering lock to position 2, then to position 0 and remove. Within 60 seconds, push and hold the lock button for 15 seconds, now push unlock button 5 times. Then check all functions.

Note 6: turn key in steering lock to position 2, then to position 0 and remove. Within 60 seconds, press the lock and tailgate buttons simultaneously for 15 seconds.

Note 7: For Smart key equipped vehicles, simply insert key in the ignition switch and follow info in the cluster display

·
10,293 Posts
Hello Everyone,
Here's a good one for you. When I bought my S420 it only came with one key, so I'm really interested in getting a spare. Hopefully I'd like to get the complete set made with two IR remotes, and the two flat keys as well.

I have found plenty of people on ebay that sell the blank keys at a reasonable price, but I have yet to find someone who can actually cut the keys. I have called at least 10 places here in Richmond, VA and I have yet to find one that can cut them. The dealer can order them, but they are big $$$ and I think this is the ONE area of W140 ownership where I can cut a corner or two. Does anyone know of a shop within 100 miles of Richmond that can do the job? Thanks!
call your dealer, give them your vin and have them order the key for you, once it arrives from Germany, take your title and go in person to pick it up

total cost 16 bucks. at least thats what the dealer in Columbus OH charged me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts