Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
SLK55,CayenneS,XKR
1,995 Posts
Mloffroad can the Mud tires used in Sand dunes ?

·
Registered
German Karts
107 Posts
That look awesome and very clean! I wouldn't be able to do that myself.. plus i'm suck at painting. Btw I like your new paint job on the lower bumper too.. would love to see the final pic after the winch installed. good work![8D]

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
alroumi - 4/17/2006 2:39 AM

If sand dunes are where the tires are primarily going to be used off road then i would suggest getting the BFG All-Terrains. They are the best tires for dry conditions such as sand and hard packed dirt. The BFG Mud-Terrains will do well in the sand but will excell in mud more than in sand. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
ZeroLimit - 4/17/2006 2:59 AM

That look awesome and very clean! I wouldn't be able to do that myself.. plus i'm suck at painting. Btw I like your new paint job on the lower bumper too.. would love to see the final pic after the winch installed. good work![8D]
Thanks a million, I really love how the paintjob came out as well. Ill surely post pics of the completed results in a few days...

·
Registered
SLK55,CayenneS,XKR
1,995 Posts
MLOffRoad - 4/17/2006 1:02 PM

alroumi - 4/17/2006 2:39 AM

If sand dunes are where the tires are primarily going to be used off road then i would suggest getting the BFG All-Terrains. They are the best tires for dry conditions such as sand and hard packed dirt. The BFG Mud-Terrains will do well in the sand but will excell in mud more than in sand. Hope this helps.
Thanks that's all I needed![:)]

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
Do you think a good 4x4 shop could take a front receiver form another vehicle and modify it to attach to the front bumper? It looks like it would be even easier to fabricate than your winch platform.

(Remember...I already have a Warn 8000i in a multimount-carrier that I run from the rear receiver. I have ginormously fat cable that runs the length of the vehcile from a solenoid switched connection to the battery, and a switch in the cab to make it hot/not.)

How is you winch ultimately attached to the vehicle?

You have set the bar, my friend. I can't wait to see the pics with the winch in place.

Also, since you have already done some customizing of you front bumper....what about cutting to increase you approach angle capability?

Here is a photoCHOP...5 seconds of work. LOL

Plus some pics from Wolfgang's site...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Nice look Al. If i was you I would do the suggestion that is above. Looks pretty cool!!

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Benz4Dirt&Sky - 4/17/2006 1:52 PM

Do you think a good 4x4 shop could take a front receiver form another vehicle and modify it to attach to the front bumper? It looks like it would be even easier to fabricate than your winch platform.

(Remember...I already have a Warn 8000i in a multimount-carrier that I run from the rear receiver. I have ginormously fat cable that runs the length of the vehcile from a solenoid switched connection to the battery, and a switch in the cab to make it hot/not.)

How is you winch ultimately attached to the vehicle?

You have set the bar, my friend. I can't wait to see the pics with the winch in place.

Also, since you have already done some customizing of you front bumper....what about cutting to increase you approach angle capability?

Here is a photoCHOP...5 seconds of work. LOL

Plus some pics from Wolfgang's site...
You could probably have them mount a class 3 receiver somehow on the front of the truck. You would probably have to cut out a piece of the frame to weld the receiver into.

As for the cutting of the bumper, I was thinking of doing that but i then decided I wanted to keep the stock look. Almost as if it was all factory options Im puting on. LOL. Who know, after I start scrathing up the new paintjob I put on the bumper I just might end up cutting some of it off.

BTW, here are the final pics with the winch installed:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1258960&posts=2

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
So what is keeping the winch attached to the vehicle with enough strength to pull you around?

I am ignorant about welding. Can you weld a structure to the bumper that will be strong enough?

Your powder coat wheels are killer, by the way. They make it look like special forces should be driving it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tire Size?

Just wondering if you have the truck lifted to fit those tires and what size are those tires? Thats some awesome work you did though!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts