Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Custom Tri Wye Equal Length Headers for $1200.00 - Who wants a set?

I found a fabricator here in Palmdale that is familiar with our plight and is sympathetic to it. I have talked with him at length and he assures me that he can fabricate a custom set of tubular headers for any 560 SEL/SEC with equal length pipes for $1200.00 US dollars. He says he will custom make them, he is aware of the steering box issue and is not concerned and is going to use my car as a test bed for them. I am having my set made up here shortly.

I told him of our board and the rarity of them and that he could make a lot of guys happy by producing them. He is NOT going to use the Mustang 5.0 headers, these will be made in the Tri Wye pattern custom for our cars. It's an easy 30 HP gain.

If you want them Chromed, that can be done too for slightly more.

Being made out of tubular steel instead of cast, they will be much lighter and will realize a slight HP gain over cast ones.

Let me know what you guys think?

I have an appointment Wednesday morning at 8:00AM to visit his shop, see his work and take some pics and get my car fitted.

Pics to follow.

Oh, and he is measuring a set of AMG cams and can duplicate them for $800.00. And he is going to Port and Polish my heads and intake on my RÜF motor for $800.00.

He also says that he can do a set of custom pistons for anywhere between $800.00 and $1200.00 dollars. He also is well versed in Ignition systems and can do a complete ignition system (including performance tuning) for anywhere between $1900.00 - $2900.00. He understands our motors and knows even that the air mass flow meter is a potential loss of HP and has some workarounds for that.

He says for about 4-5 grand I will see between 375-400HP at the crank. Bear in mind that I am starting with a Euro high compression motor.

This guy was recommended by the guy making the metal panels for my Recaro switches. He recommended him because all this guy does is high performance racing motors.

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds intriguing. Has he previously done such work, and on which cars?
Yes, all this guy does is custom racing engines. He does NASCAR Series engines, mainly Fords. But he says he is familiar with our cars and our needs. He says he has a close friend that is into Benz and can draw from him for the info he needs. He knows about the Hydro vs solid lifter issues and he says he can do a performance 3 angle valve job for $350.00. Again, he is familiar with the spring issues with the Air Mass Flow Meter and the performance limits it imposes from that design and he says he has some workarounds.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
tri-Ys are the best bang for the buck
i'd be up for something like this

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tri-Ys are the best bang for the buck
i'd be up for something like this
Okay, My Brother, I will put you down for a set. I'm sure you are going to want the rest after you drive my car...

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about doing equal length headers that work around the steering box?
Right, I mentioned that in my post and I called him today David and asked him about that and he says no problem. I am going there Wed. for him to measure and fit them.

·
W123 Moderator
797 Posts
Sounds very interesting

Mike,

Sounds like a very interesting project, I am very interested.

Jonathan

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Any problem with passing the smog test with custom headers?

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any problem with passing the smog test with custom headers?
It should be okay. He told me the only time I am going to have problems passing smog is if I change out the pistons and do the bottom end. He says then it will just develop too much HP for it to pass smog.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Would these be an improvement over the euro tri-y???

·
9,038 Posts
Would these be an improvement over the euro tri-y???
Good question. They will be much lighter than the tri-y's that are cast iron. I'd be curious to seeing dyno specs one day of the two.

Since you have a RHD car, the tri-y's are different.

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Not only do we have the steering box to deal with, but with equal length, you have to worry about heat and accessing the spark plugs. Unless the tubing was made to extend downwards rather than sideways, thos brings up the steering box clearance question again. Gotta love that steering box! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wow.. I'm still kinda new here.. a Porsche guy, but I can see that you guys are gonna get me in deep! I see it coming!

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got home from being there most of the day. Got there early this AM and lashed it down to the dyno and did three pulls.

Write up to follow.

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is this a 30 hp gain over and above what a Euro engine with Euro logs would produce? I'm at 285 or so now with the Euro log setup.
No, sadly. The logs give you a slight increase with a Euro Engine. You will realize a gain, but not as much as going from the stock pipes to this design.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
About this Discussion
77 Replies
29 Participants
unavita
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing