Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Slk 200
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.andysautosport.com/mercedes/2005_200_slk_class/performance/turbos_and_superchargers/supercharger_kits/vortech/

I found this site and in a local tuning magazine saw 3 Hondas boosted up to 500 HP, that is why I am starting the thread in fact :)

I am going yo buy a new car for my aunt, so I have to stop modifying mine for at least 6 months :( Ther are too many things in my mind but they have to wait. Long ago I posted a thread, telling that I want to turbocharge my engine. Thanks for your replies, they helped me a lot. I talked to many Gurus here and they simply said dont ruin your car, it is not a cheap japanese one. They were right and my 1.8 supercharged engine is not the best for getting more ponnies out of it.

There are known companies for MB tuning. Carlsson, Vath, Brabus, Kleeman... I think kleeman kit is the best option for the price. I don't know why but now web shop is not available for Europe right now but I remember something like 1680 Euros for a new chip, pulleys, air filter and fuel injector for K1. It is really a good price. But do we have to buy ready performance kits from those companies? Pulleys are really chip if you know which one to get( I don't know for myself), Kleeman is not offering the best airfilter( it is a mushroom shaped one), fuel injectors are everywhere and easy to find and you can modify your chip to its limits in an experienced garage. I am not sure but may be you can change your stock kompressor with Vortech supercharger one... We have Iskender Usta in Istanbul, very talented guy doing incredible things custom made headers and downpipes. We can also put an aftercooler for better results. There are also many things to do inside the 4 cylinders...

I have no experience in one of the things I wrote above. So besides Kleeman and others , best brands for;

1. Pullies

2. Air filter

3. Supercharger

4. Fuel injector

5. Aftercooler

for SLK 200 Kompressor M271 engine. I think choosing each of the products for best performance will end up with better results. I know what to do with headers and down pipes. Some may say it is better to get 350 or 55 AMG but not in my country :)

·
Registered
SLK55,CayenneS,XKR
1,995 Posts
Good luck keep us updated to your new improvments.

·
Registered
Slk 200
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is nothing to improve here if you don't help me with those parts. I need someone with experience and knowledge :)

·
Registered
2006 Slk 200K
266 Posts
Why don't you upgrade your engine in one of the established tuners that specialize in MB cars, i.e. Brabus, MKB, Kleemann, Vaeth etc.? The only thing that will succeed in - from going the 1-5 way of tuning that you describe - is to make a mechanic really rich! You will end up with an MB vehicle that will have 10 hours in the streets and 10 days in the garage... I know one guy that tried sth like the above and now he ended up with a state-of-the-art failure! After much research on MB tuners i ended up with Kleemann. The first stage boosts you up to 210 hp and 4kg of torque with a total CIF value of 2000 Euros + installation cost. The second stage includes headers with CIF value 2100 Euros + installation cost giving you another 20 hp totaling 230 hp. I am about to proceed with the first stage...

·
Registered
SLK350 (Wife's car)
135 Posts
I spent fortunes in the past doing this. I have now learnt my lesson and will never ever carry out such mods on any of my cars.

My nephew has a mini cooper S, he spent thousands of pounds on modifications. I told him from the beginning he will end up spending more time in the garage than in the car.

He now wishes he had left the car as it was because everything I said turned out to be true. The saddest part of it all is that he works for me and is never at work because he is always at the garage.

To my Turkish friend I would say, vazgec abicigim seker gibi araban var. Hem arabana yazik hem parana:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Slk 200
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
microlite said:
I spent fortunes in the past doing this. I have now learnt my lesson and will never ever carry out such mods on any of my cars.

My nephew has a mini cooper S, he spent thousands of pounds on modifications. I told him from the beginning he will end up spending more time in the garage than in the car.

He now wishes he had left the car as it was because everything I said turned out to be true. The saddest part of it all is that he works for me and is never at work because he is always at the garage.

To my Turkish friend I would say, vazgec abicigim seker gibi araban var. Hem arabana yazik hem parana:thumbsup:
"Çok güzel demişsin kardeşim benim de buna ihtiyacım vardı" :) You are absolutely right about what you said. I know it is not a wise man's choice to tune a supercharged engine to its limits. It already nearly outputs nearly 100 hp for a liter. But I think there must be more in this engine. It does not mean I will do what ever you say to my car, I want to know the options thats all...

·
Registered
2004 W203 C180K Elegance Sport Sedan & 2005 W209 CLK280 Elegance Coupe
104 Posts
microlite said:

is it really that bad?? i have been thinking about getting one of these performance kits for some time on my M271, but have been a little worried about overall reliability. plus these kits seem a lot of money for what physical parts they actually give you.

if they are this unreliable later i might just get an exhaust system and stick to that.

·
Registered
Slk 200
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will try my chances in an experienced tuning garage with ASP pulley, fuel injector and ecu tune. But I have a question do you have to retune the ecu after changing headers? If so I will do the headers thing first...

·
Registered
2004 W203 C180K Elegance Sport Sedan & 2005 W209 CLK280 Elegance Coupe
104 Posts
you should definately not have to retune the ECU after headers... but if you do, it may give you even more power

1 - 9 of 9 Posts