Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am not sure how I will do this, I will find some way – Someday…But I want your feed back on icons and “options” that I want to add in the future…

I have a full “American” switch row to start off with…I want to add in these “options” as I see the switch row being full…here is my logic – Let me know your thoughts!

Driver Comfort
Heated seat - Sindelfingen install
Cooled seat - Could be OEM factory parts, could be aftermarket – I am hoping the vented sport seats will work with this idea and not need a full perforated bottom cushion…How will this work with the heating element being in the seat cushion cover?

Driver controlled safety
Parktronic - Using both factory and aftermarket parts on this (for my car)
Air horns - For use when traveling at higher speeds or on country roads

Passenger Comfort
Rear sunshade - Sindelfingen install
Foot well lighting - will use aftermarket parts unless there are factory parts – do the C350s and higher C-Class cars have foot well lighting?

Nature controlled safety
ESP - Sindelfingen install
Deer alert - Aftermarket powered deer / animal alerting device

Locking
Un-Lock - Sindelfingen install
Lock - Sindelfingen install

Rear passenger safety
Headrest fold - Sindelfingen install
Rear power plug - Aftermarket or OEM parts to install a plug in the rear console area, driver can control power to it with this switch (Like newer Chrysler products)

Alarm Systems
Tow away - Sindelfingen install
IMS - Would have to be OEM factory parts

Passenger Comfort
Heated seat - Sindelfingen install
Cooled seat - Could be OEM factory parts, could be aftermarket – I am hoping the vented sport seats will work with this idea and not need a full perforated bottom cushion…How will this work with the heating element being in the seat cushion cover?

Let me know your thoughts…I have no clue still how I am going to “etch” the logos on the buttons, if the buttons are all made the same for a consistent finish – and if this is possible…But Photoshop and dreaming are easy!

Thanks,
Jake

Attachments

·
Registered
C320 4matic
1,743 Posts
Sounds like a lot of dreaming, I'm still dreaming of my spoilers and carbon fiber interior. :D

Is the deer alert and air horn necessary!? lol I think your going overboard. hehe

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It can happen...With my dad's help and other help with some imagination almost anything can happen...some of the stuff will be harder than other stuff - and may not be done for years...My w123 is "fully loaded" with all factory looking switches that are a garage door opener, a sub on / off, interior foot well lighting, radiator fan over ride, etc...

The air horns are a throw back to older (Before NYC noise laws) Mercedes-Benz models such as the w123 that had them as an option, with the switch you could switch from hi and normal horn use!

The deer alert - is a 12 volt unit that could help with avoiding a deer collision - and there are a lot of them (accidents) in the area that I live. I want to install a unit to help keep me, my wife, friends and family safe!

I also want the switch columns to have some logic and order...f you have ideas or comments - throw them at me!

Thanks,
Jake

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Mercedes Benz C-230 Sport Sedan
15 Posts
The pic of your dream "switch row" looks sweet. I actually have heard of this guy in my area that custom color engraves things, such as hard plastics. Never really knew what good that would do but it sounds like it might be right up your alley. PM me and I will try to get you some info on the process, or at least the shop its done at.

·
Registered
2005 C240 4-Matic
384 Posts
Can you redo the photoshop... but add this stuff...

Mini Gun Targeting system - Rockets - Ejection seat - Spike wheels - Rear deployment mines - ughhh what else - Oh and Martini dispenser from the glovebox - oh yes and of course Auto pilot engage...

I have had all this stuff installed but the switches are all voice activated and its a bummer cus its not to good on the pick up and I end up deploying mines while trying to engague the auto drive... poor school bus behind me had no idea what hit it :(

hahah dude the switch setup you had is sooo james bond I love it :)
I seen the dear thing in action upstate its pretty cool - this dude had it hooked up on his snomobiles so he could rocket down the trails at night and not worry about hitting a elk or something haah

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do not understand why even a fully loaded interior does not have a fully loaded switch row. As an industrial designer this bothers me – there are a few things on the car that “bother me” but over all I love it…

I am looking to fill in the blanks with realistic (An ejector seat would be cool though…) options that work inside and outside of the car. I also want the switch columns to have some logic…

Deer are a real problem in the Western New York area – or “Upstate” – Because anything other than NYC is not New York…

This is another unit – I believe this one needs to be mounted facing the road surface at about 45 degrees…

The Hornet Deer Whistle - Electronic Deer Avoidance System

Thanks all, Keep your ideas coming!
Jake

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The pic of your dream "switch row" looks sweet. I actually have heard of this guy in my area that custom color engraves things, such as hard plastics. Never really knew what good that would do but it sounds like it might be right up your alley. PM me and I will try to get you some info on the process, or at least the shop its done at.
Thanks...That was one of my thoughts...Like a trophy engraver or something - the problem is the switches are not flat - and the whole switch row is on a crown...so there is no real reference point...But please let me know the business name and information - I am all ears!
Jake

·
Registered
2005 C230 Kompressor Sedan
74 Posts
Dude thats waaaaay tight

If you find out how to do it, let me know :)

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most newer cars including Mercedes have all the switches in the cluster already in place and the unused switch cell has a tabbed cover that cannot activate the switch function. The big problem is not in removing the tab so it can work, but the fact that the switch is simply an input device to the vehicles data and control buss and it does not have the ability to really switch any kind of power. Worse yet is that because it is an input device to the system data buss its function is already mapped to the data buss and cannot be changed. The number and size of the wires coming out of the switch cluster remain the same regardless of the number of active switch positions because it outputs a digital coded signal rather than actually switching the power, which is done somewhere else.

Well I tore into my spare switch row – it is a pretty normal part with a PCB, a few contact pins, rubber push buttons and some really neat molded parts…Every “Button / Switch” position is open with a rubber momentary and a PCB contact – not all of the goods are there – IE – Cooled seat LEDs are missing…Etc – But once the circuit is found from the “button” – a signal now can be sent through contact….

I cut two “tabs” off of the blanked switches and the unit / button started to move a little easier – not as well as a true switch – I only gave it a little time last night – so I have not yet figured out how to break down the actual buttons from their group carrier – and being ABS I am trying not to break anything…It also seems that all of the buttons are molded in a clear or translucent white – so adding an icon may work out! The only bummer is that the back arms that actually close the circuit (the white part that looks like a cone) are in white on the actual switches and are missing from the switches that are blanks…and the inner layer is white on “real switches” and black on SOME non used locations – but not all…

Onward and upward!
Jake

Attachments

·
Registered
C320 4matic
1,743 Posts
That looks extremely complicated and time consuming. I don't even have enough time to wash my car lately! Keep up updated & good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any icon on the switches looks better than a blank. Surely MB sells the switches, but it probably costs a fortune. And why would they have the telephone buttons when they don't install telephones?

·
Registered
C320 4matic
1,743 Posts
Any icon on the switches looks better than a blank. Surely MB sells the switches, but it probably costs a fortune. And why would they have the telephone buttons when they don't install telephones?
Mercedes Benz does have the option of adding a telephone or bluetooth with the purchase of a "puck" ... my car has everything but the puck. I haven't purchased it yet and don't know if I plan to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts