Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again I look to the experts on this board for advice. I am looking at a custom exhaust to improve performance and sound and ran into several issues:

1) Lack of space! There is only about 11 or so inches for the muffler. What fits that will work? What brand(s) and where do I get it?

2) I was interested in increasing air flow by removing the "Y" connector at the back of the two catalytic converters and running twin mufflers out the back. The problem I ran into is the SINGLE oxygen sensor mounted into the "Y" itself. Is there going to be (of course) an issue with that sensor? My muffler guy says the computer may adjust to ignore any gain, or may make it WORSE!!

Any help/advice is always appreciated. Thanks !

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
you cant get away without running the sensor, and you sure cant get away without running cats... at least a racing car, but you need something.......

A Muffler that is common and many of us on here have used are the 5x8" Magnaflow mufflers... either with or without tips, you choose. but they fit very well and do a decent job in controling the sound levels and are extremely free flowing and have a superb finish.. Ive already had mine for over a year..!

The only real easy upgrade you can do on the exhaust is what I did and others have done...and that is to improve on the original design... Replace the entire exhaust with a 2.5" mandrel-bent system using High Performance cats, and the free flow magnaflow exhaust in the back..... and you should see some nice gains combined with a pulley kit....etc.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
In most cases the entire exhaust from the flange behind the cats back gets replaced, not just the muffler.
I had a RENNTech exhaust on my 230, and it sounded good, but it wasn't cheap by any means. I got it back in '98 when the cars just came out, and everything was stupid expensive.
Your car probably doesn't have a resonator, not that that matters one way or another, but getting a new system and installing it yourself is easier now.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
You can also fit race cats for little more hp.

Dont go for the back box option, as bruce says cats back is the one.

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
I forgot to add something........... Don't expect much more than a change in sound, the claims of an increase in horsepower are pure bull. If you're very lucky you might get a bump of one horsepower for your time and money .......... :eek: The sound alone might be worth the expense though. :D

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I forgot to add something........... Don't expect much more than a change in sound, the claims of an increase in horsepower are pure bull. If you're very lucky you might get a bump of one horsepower for your time and money .......... :eek: The sound alone might be worth the expense though. :D
the gains are not pure "bull"..... Both Steve Johnson and Alephart got full systems with a decent gain and better sound!!

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
the gains are not pure "bull"..... Both Steve Johnson and Alephart got full systems with a decent gain and better sound!!
Steve Johnson has major mods to his engine, and I am not so sure that Aaron has shown a gain form his exhaust. In any case there has been NO ONE here that has shown a Dyno report that indicated anything other then manufacturers hype on their exhaust. RENNTech claimed 7 horsepower with their cat back, I saw nothing. The same has been reported with every one else that has put on a cat back. Can you show otherwise with dyno back up?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Steve Johnson has major mods to his engine, and I am not so sure that Aaron has shown a gain form his exhaust. In any case there has been NO ONE here that has shown a Dyno report that indicated anything other then manufacturers hype on their exhaust. RENNTech claimed 7 horsepower with their cat back, I saw nothing. The same has been reported with every one else that has put on a cat back. Can you show otherwise with dyno back up?
I believe Aaron said he went to the Dyno and got 5 horsepower from the exahust.... and He had was a pulley mod.....

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
I believe Aaron said he went to the Dyno and got 5 horsepower from the exahust.... and He had was a pulley mod.....
OK, then you should be able to find the thread where he said that.
Hey maybe he did, but he would have been the first to show a gain since I have been here, and I joined up in 1998, there have been enough people through here to have tried every brand that has been made ......... :)
You might recall that Steve has gone back to the stock exhaust manifold after he tried the SuperSprint headers, they showed no gain either...
Like I said, you may be right, but you may be wrong just as easily........... ;)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
OK, then you should be able to find the thread where he said that.
Hey maybe he did, but he would have been the first to show a gain since I have been here, and I joined up in 1998, there have been enough people through here to have tried every brand that has been made ......... :)
You might recall that Steve has gone back to the stock exhaust manifold after he tried the SuperSprint headers, they showed no gain either...
Like I said, you may be right, but you may be wrong just as easily........... ;)
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1309644-magnaflow-dyno-results-finally.html?highlight=Magnaflow+Exhaust

4"RWHP" Gain...in a fairly stock car ;)

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts