Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Current 2004 Mercedes Benz CLK 500, Previous 2005 E55 AMG, Previous 2009 S550
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At work I have a CO2 Laser I use for occasional prototype work and the occasional rework of a part or two. Recently at my weekly relaxing stroll through the local U-Pull It I came across a well crashed 04 CLK500 just like mine.

I went about my normal stripping of small clips and little things I always forget when I realized I really want to change the cluster up a bit. So I took the cluster out, removed the bezel and left the electronics for the next W209 owner.

Once at work I scanned the Bezel and imported it into Photoshop. Once the edits I needed to import it into my Laser software were complete I began to edit and test using paper. It's much easier to trial and error with paper but once its scaled right and cut it's ready for whatever material I want to cut. Everything except metal as my 70watt CO2 laser isn't strong enough to cut metal but everything else including Carbon Fiber sheet l, plastics and vinyls no problem.

I ordered some carbon fiber vinyl today and once I get it I'll cut out a peice and see how it looks.

As you see theres extra room around the letters and where the turn signals etc are for them to continue to shine through.

Ill show an updated finished product when I'm done.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So the material came in today.
A matte style 3D Carbon Fiber Vinyl and a 4D Glossy Carbon Fiber Vinyl.

I'm going to cut one in each and test on the test bezel I have before installing in my car.

The center air vent will also get the same treatment but I'm going to use the brushed metal vinyl I used for the wood interior. I recently removed the vinyl I had on there to scan it so it's not as well wrapped as it was but will be again.

I will be also be making either with my Laser or Cricut a new hazard triangle in a similar white, or might even paint it. It drives me nuts how faded it is.

BTW for those who have attempted this the normal way in which you just cover the Bezel with wrap, the metal trim rings are indeed chromed steel rings. They are delicate but with carful pushing with a plastic trim tool they will pop out allowing a cleaner edge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tested with the matte 3D Vinyl first on the test bezel.

Gotta be honest looks pretty good.

As you can see I needed to bend the tabs flat to properly scan the bezel for this project. That's why I needed a spare to do it. Makes not experimenting with the good one in the car much easier.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finished product.

Decided to go with Matte 3D Carbon Fiber Vinyl over the glossy. The glossy looked extra cheap. The matte had the look I was going for.

No trimming required. No heat gun. Just like a sticker. The bezel although was from the exact car as mine but did have a different numbers stamped on the back and was prob made by multiple vendors. So I would imagine there could be slight fit differences year to year but only very slight.

Very happy with how it came out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts