Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
A lot of very nice Unimog...
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've uploaded an album on Picasa of one of our custom dump beds for a U1250.

The sides of the bed are durable, very light weight and removable. The side panels have a reinforced V-bottom to avoid pinching any debris when being folded up and allows them sit vertically. If debris is in the way, the reinforcement is heavy enough to cut through it and not to allow future rust to permeate the thick steel. The rear section is removable for rear mounted implements, this also allows us to be able to side dump even when we have a goose neck trailer mounted on the rear. The headache rack is removable so we can mount a 404 radio box on the bed all the way to the back of the cab. The dimensions of the bed match the radio box and will be set up to be quickly mounted and dismounted on the 3 way deck for RVing. The 3 way tilt makes it nice to level up the camper on VERY not level ground!

There will be a tool box mounted on the passenger side-front, still mounted to the bed. This allows us to tilt the bed and gain access to any components underneath, unlike the beds on cargo trucks/troop carriers.
The underside will get Rhino lined and the rest will be shot w/ PPG. There are also allowances to install hoops for a canvas covered wagon.

There is still a lot of little stuff to finish up, but you get the idea.

Hope ya Like it!

Picasa Web Albums - jasoncouchster - U1250 custom ...

Jay
C.O.R.E.

·
Registered
'79 Flat Bed 406
206 Posts
Nice work Jason!
A lot of work for a really big back seat for my skinny girlfriend!!!
She looks like she doesn't have a care in the world...is she aware it dumps?!?!? :D

·
Registered
1970 406 Unimog with 9'2" Boss V-Plow....... 1974 404 Unimog Rock Crawler
874 Posts
Excellent work as always Jay! Are you building this for a client or will you be putting it up for sale?

·
Banned
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This bed is for one of our U1250's. If we get the time we will be building a similar one for our U1700, but that one will be a lot of steel and $, ugh...

She is now. I give her a wake up w/ a side dump every now and then!

·
Banned
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes we did the sides as well. the front board has a ties point bar that runs in a recess for strapping and bungees. The rest of the sides will get the same. The deck will get x6 heavy recessed tie points installed.

·
Registered
U1300L Turbo x 3
754 Posts
Any reason why you didn't go with the German hinge system? (bedsides straight out, slide to one side and remove)

Also, did you use corrugated flooring or siding for commercial buildings for your sides?

Like this stuff:

Corrugated Stainless Steel roof, floor panels, decking, flooring, siding - James River Steel

The last bed I built I got 10' lengths of galvanized sheet bent up for pretty cheap.

The galv metal really helps with longevity.

Yes we did the sides as well. the front board has a ties point bar that runs in a recess for strapping and bungees. The rest of the sides will get the same. The deck will get x6 heavy recessed tie points installed.

·
Banned
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The German hinges were not cost or time line effective. We had to build this bed in just two weeks before our Moab gig as well as get three Unimogs ready to boot!
I do like the German units,but the fit is nice and very strong w/ no rattles. Keep in mind we have six folding sides, so that is a lot of hinges to start to wear and develop some slop and that annoying Mog idle clatter
Our units do have a nice grease fitting as well so they start out pretty snug.
The corr. is 20G decking w/ weld through primmer.

J.couch

1 - 9 of 9 Posts