Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i have a '78 300d..i've been on the w123 forums for a while and now this is my first time posting here, i thought people on this forum might be able to help me out. i realize that a diesel is just a little too slow and finicky for my first car, so i'm hoping to sell tomorrow. i can't go long without a car due to school and work so i'm browsing CL for another car when i stumbled upon this:

Mercedes 280

i emailed the seller and he said it's negotiable. i've done research and the c280 seems like a decent car, can anyone here give me firsthand advice? how's the gas mileage? is 104,000 miles alot for a car like this? how is it in the winter and is it an all-around reliable car?

basically, i'm asking what sort of things to expect switching from a 300d to a c280. thanks! :D

·
Registered
1996 C280
151 Posts
well, i have a '78 300d..i've been on the w123 forums for a while and now this is my first time posting here, i thought people on this forum might be able to help me out. i realize that a diesel is just a little too slow and finicky for my first car, so i'm hoping to sell tomorrow. i can't go long without a car due to school and work so i'm browsing CL for another car when i stumbled upon this:

Mercedes 280

i emailed the seller and he said it's negotiable. i've done research and the c280 seems like a decent car, can anyone here give me firsthand advice? how's the gas mileage? is 104,000 miles alot for a car like this? how is it in the winter and is it an all-around reliable car?

basically, i'm asking what sort of things to expect switching from a 300d to a c280. thanks! :D
the best advice anyone can give you would be to take it to a mechanic with experience working on Mercedes and have him do a pre-purchase inspection.

One thing to be concerned about is the wiring harness. The 94-95 models had faulty harness from the factory (they would degrade after a few years).

Also, don't take the sellers word for it that a new fuel filter will have it running fine as it states in the ad.

The m104 is a strong running engine and properly tuned it will get you around 26 mpg on the highway and about 22 or so around town. This engine is known for a head gasket leak (serious) and a upper timing cover leak (not so serious).

Don't make a $3500 mistake. Have it checked out first.

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
The Ad says selling for a hybrid? Hummmmm. There was a really well kept '93 190 2.6 for sale by a member on the 201 board that was less than $3000 a few weeks ago. I don't think it sold. Those are tough years for the reasons mentioned above. The price is on the high side unless the service records are all there and the car is pristine and needs nothing. If you have a mechanic have it checked out and go from there.

Did you post in the For Sale / Trade section? You may find someone that may want to trade what they have for a clean w123. You may have to fix that exhaust to get your asking price or close though.

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey, thanks for the responses. it turns out the car also needs an idle control valve, and i do not want to deal with any more work on a car. I got fooled into thinking my car was drivable when i bought it, so i'd like to just get in and drive for the next one :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts