Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6 W201 Euro Spec / 2003 C240 wagon/1995 C280
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.... I have been fighting a hot start and stalling problem for the last 90 days. If I drive for about 15 minutes then shut the car off for about 10 minutes the trouble would start. When I was done running an errand I would get back in the car and it would turn over but would not fire. When I did get it to start I would get on the road and would pull up to a stop sign and it would stall and be really hard to start. I would need to hold my foot on the floor then it would start after what was like 5 attempts.
Here is what I did in an effort to fix it. I changed the fuel filter, new plugs and wires, distributor cap, O2 sensor, injector seals, fuel distribution rework, auxiliary cooling fan temperature switch, re-soldered the fuel relay, fuel pressure verification, and I am sure that I have missed a few of the things I did. All of this and it still would not hot start and stalled 10 times in a 30 minute drive across the city. My wife threw the keys at me one night and said get rid of it...... I was very tempted to take her up on it. I was on my way to take it to a dealer to trade it in on a 95 300E (not sure I want anything newer than that) and I noticed the lights dimmed to almost dark when I started it in my garage with the lights off. That is not right! I shut it off and opened the hood. I put my DVM on the battery and laid the DVM on the windshield so I could see the voltage during cranking. From a cold start the battery voltage was dropping to 8 VDC during the crank. I ran the car until hot and shut it off for 10 minutes. When I tried to start it the engine it turned over nicely but the battery voltage went down to 5.5 to 6 VDC. I said to myself, "self, I bet the MB brain and ignition system needs more than 5.5 VDC to wake up and allow the engine to start." The car has an original MB battery in it with a date code 021198A. I have no idea how old it is and I do not remember changing it. Not once in all my starting attempts did the battery fail to turn the engine over at a good RPM. Leave it to an original MB battery to still have enough cranking amps at 5.5 volts!!!
I treated my precious 190E to a new battery and it was instantly a day and night difference (No Dah!!!) It has been a week now and not a single stall. It starts first touch of the key every time hot or cold!

The moral behind this is don't over look the basics... A car needs a battery in top shape to run great!

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,259 Posts
Did your wife reward you any thing ???????????
Benzies are picky about battery condition ,it was happen to my wife C240 too.. the tranny did not want to downshift...WTF thinking of new trans needed with losa $$$$$$. but with new battery installed ..drive like a new until today...

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
Thank god you didn't get rid of it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts