5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do u guys use for cup holders?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
my hands &/or my girlfriend..[:p]

Not much of one for eating/drinking while driving..

Jonathan

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
Hmm, cup holder...Between my legs mostly, none of the cup holders I've picked up fit the windows.. So I gotta be careful with my HOT COFFEE when driving[xx(][:D]

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was wondering about those at drinkholders.com,

i would have to stick mine on the drivers door because i have that new wood box that goes under the armrest in the center console now.

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
I got a two cupholders unit under the armrest. When closed, it has the same burlwood finish to match the car's.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
V8BENZ - 5/2/2005 1:17 AM

those ones on drinkholders.com are nice but too spendy for me.
I think cupholders.com sells junk. Bird industries makes serious cupholders as part of a center console/armrest replacement. Porsche/Audi owners buy them in huge quantities. Unfortunately they stopped making units for the 126 and 120 a few years ago. I'm talking to Mr. Bird about making a small reissue of the 126 model. They replace the center armrest with a virtually identical armrest but it slides open on ballbearings, has a metal frame under the leather, is lockable and holds drinks and valuables. When produced they were several hundred dollars. Amazingly engineered.

·
Registered
12-Camel TT S600
1,794 Posts
swap the center armrest with one from some chrysler ..has good foldable cup holder.. and pivots into the seat just like the arm rest of w126..may get it at junk yard for few bucks!!

·
Registered
12-Camel TT S600
1,794 Posts
swap the center armrest with one from some chrysler ..has good foldable cup holder.. and pivots into the seat just like the arm rest of w126..may get it at junk yard for few bucks!!

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,430 Posts
vdubpower - 5/2/2005 4:23 PM

what do u guys use for cup holders?
Nothing. I don’t allow any drinks (or food) in the car. But I’m thinking of getting a cupholder when I purchase my burl roll-top centre console storage bin. I’ll get a cupholder to fit into the box. I doubt I’ll use it, though. [8)]

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
I don't like drinking and driving. I'd rather stop somewhere. Besides, I like to focus all my attention to the other nuts on the road especially first thing in the morning when I know other drivers are trying to wake themselves up with a hot beverage which is totally foolish.

Also, I believe that's why our 126's didn't have cupholders due to the safety issue which makes a lot of sense.

I remember one instance when I was riding with a friend of mine who was driving with a hot tea in his right hand. All of a sudden another car suddenly merged into our lane of traffic. My friend's reaction was to grab the steering wheel with both hands which caused the cup to burst which caused some nasty burns on his hands and both legs. Not to mention the mess on the dash, seats and floor.

Afterwards, he said "I knew I should have waited to drink my tea". Damn.

·
Registered
1989 Euro 560 SEC
195 Posts
I have the upright model shown at cupholders.com. I bought it at a Mercedes dealership, though. Perfect color match. It's on the passanger side, so I still only have one cupholder. It's not too hard to hold a drink while driving, so that is what I usually do.

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
34 Posts
When I bought my 91 560 SEL it had the aftermarket cupholders on the front doors... which I and another 6ft+ friend of mine promptly forcefully removed with our kneecaps exiting the car. I was able to get the passenger side one successfully back on, but damaged mine beyond repair. I now use the base of it inside of my roll-top with the top snugged up against my highball glass of whatever I'm sipping at the time.

Don't drink and drive... you'll spill your drink.[:D]

Seriously, though. I don't drink alchohoic beverages before or while I'm driving my gorgeous girl... sometimes don't even need it afterwards.

I remember seeing some nice looking wood and brass "cupholders" on an old sailing ship that mounted from the side and swiveled in an apparatus like a gyroscope thus keeping the drinks in the glass during heavy seas... need to find a couple of them and then find a good place to mount them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts