1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those who have installed these cupholders:

http://www.drinkholders.com/mb/123main.html

Where did you install yours? Would it be better to get a longer screw and fasten the double cupholder to the center tray using that screw?

For others who got different ones, which ones did you get and where did you install them?

I saw this site:

http://www.20v.org/20v/cuphold.htm

What do you think about theirs? They have one that attaches to the lower surface of the foldable center arm rest, but you'll have to use adhesive on the MB-tex...

·
Registered
1984 300CD
2,700 Posts
I like the Zebrawood one's as they match my wood, but that's a lot of money for a cup holder[xx(] My CD has one of those mounts for the "Old Style" mobile phones, the kind that pivots. I was planning on mounting one of that style holder on it. I've bought the first type (a single)in black for $5 at an RV store B4.[8D]

Edit: I've been thinking one could be made to fit in the center of the dash where that strip of wood is, and use that wood piece and two of the right side curved pieces to finish it off, but it's just an idea.[8D]

·
Registered
83-300D
116 Posts
karugs,

I installed my on the left side of the console..basically near your right knee. i have it up far enough so the seat adjuster is not compromised, make sense? I put another one on the passenger side door.. big mistake. My friend ripped it out. I don't recommend this at all. I can take pictures if you want. let me know.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dcfan40 - 2/9/2005 6:04 PM

karugs,

I installed my on the left side of the console..basically near your right knee. i have it up far enough so the seat adjuster is not compromised, make sense? I put another one on the passenger side door.. big mistake. My friend ripped it out. I don't recommend this at all. I can take pictures if you want. let me know.
It would be really nice if you already have pics. How did you install the driverside one? Did you screw it unto the side of the black center panel? I hope your friend didn't rip off the door panel as well.[:0] Also, what drinkholder did you use? TIA [:)]

·
Registered
83-300D
116 Posts
karugs,

I got mine from drinkholders. I got black to match the console. And yes I did just screw them into the black console. I will get you pictures by the weekend. because the console isn't completely flat it doesn't snap shut but is snug.

·
Registered
83-300D
116 Posts
RE: Cupholders!! -- Attn: Karugs

Here are my pictures. I noticed that I only put in two screws, top right and bottom left. I made sure that the cupholder is high enough so if someone was short they could pull up the seat far enough when the cupholder is closed. you can see I took it from a few different angles. Putting these on the door in my opinion is not recommended, you asking for trouble.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems to me you're a pretty tall guy to have the seat so far back; I'm only 5 feet 7 so that good idea won't work for me.[:(] It's a good idea though, especially for taller persons.

I came back from the car after seeing where the best place to fit a cupholder would be. The door panels definitely are out of the list as I can imagine myself also ripping them off once too often. Now I'm thinking of using the Zebrano wood console as part cupholder as well, if there is one with a lid that slides back. Hmm...

·
Registered
83-300D
116 Posts
Karugs,

Believe it or not I am only 5' 10". You can move the cupholder up a bit futher. I guess it all just depends on where you sit in the car and where you would feel comfortable with the cupholder. Maybe putting it on the passenger side? Good luck.

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
I would buy the cupholders, but I really dont drink in the car. The only thing I drink is bottled water, and I throw it anywhere in the car. There really nice though.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1985 300CD - 2/13/2005 6:57 PM

I would buy the cupholders, but I really dont drink in the car. The only thing I drink is bottled water, and I throw it anywhere in the car. There really nice though.
Good point on the bottled water! Is that why I saw a bottle of water in your car pics? [:D]

Dcfan, I also figured I drive with my knee relaxed and my heel on the floor. Hence my leg would rest where the cupholder is, so putting a drink there would cause me to use my adductor (inner thigh) muscles more--something that's a bit the opposite of using cupholders (convenience). Yes, I was also thinking of installing it on the passenger side.

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts

[:D]

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
1985 300CD - 2/13/2005 9:57 PM

you dirty you
[:D]

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sometimes when I throw a bottle at the back, it rolls under the seats and I'll find them days after [:D]

I was looking for those things you install on the "hump" in the middle of the rear floor, that fits between the center console/tray and the middle of the rear seat. But the ones I found didn't fit (too long). Even if they were tan or black I could clean them to make it look like a good fit. But since it was too long, I took it as a sign it wasn't meant to be. [^]

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,162 Posts
The people at repairflix has some nice ones.
They warn that the wood is not an exact match, but they look funtional.

http://www.repairflix.com/cart.php?cat=Parts+and+Accessories

·
Registered
1985 Euro 300TD Turbo, 1983 Euro 300TD turbo, 1979 Euro 240TD and 1981 300D converted to euro.
2,701 Posts
Dont ask for the specs ,but a while back i saw the coolest ones in a glove box on a w123 they came from the company that makes the cup holders for porsche and other german cars.... i forgot the specs but they pop up to hold the cup and fit on the door of the gloves box...think it was on cardomain or something anyway they were the best looking ones.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can you post the link maybe? Although the glove box is too far for the driver to put a drink on (especially when driving) I would like to see it.

The wooden piece on the center console is not bad, but takes up too much space. Most practical maybe is to have a passenger and let them hold it for you![:D]

·
Registered
1984 300CD
2,700 Posts
I finally got around to taking a picture of my cup holder. The vehicle previously had an old-style cell phone and this bracket would have left a mark in the carpet if I removed it sooo...I just picked up one of those cup holders you hang by the window at Target, took the hanger part off and voila...This works perfectly, it is in the perfect location for me and fits my arm like it was made for it.

[8D]

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
i got an adjustable double at wal mart for 8 bux, came with screws. takes up most of the center cubby hole, but it leaves enough room for a pack of cigarettes, an ipod an n*gage and a zippo=)

i didnt want to screw it through the console, but i finally said to hell with it and did, the cup holder will likely increase the cars value more than a pair of screw holes will detract from it!

ill take you a picture tomorrow if you wish?

·
Registered
82 300D, ISU Formula
225 Posts
Did the same thing Wal-Mart has some great cup holders, that will fit any size drink.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts